Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
O
I did a search, but couldn't find anything that helps my situation.
My brake light and ABS lights are on all the time. Very rarely when I turn the car off then back on the lights go off for a little while. I haven't been able to get them to turn off since the last time they turned off. I have disconnected the battery and that doesn't help. I figured that I must have a short or bad sensor. I put a volt meter on each one of my sensors and all of them seemed to be working when I spin the wheels the voltage would go up the more I spun the wheel. Does anybody know the correct way to check the ABS sensors?
I have plenty of brake fluid. How would I check the master cylinder level sensor? I do have access to an OBDII scanner, but couldn't find the section that would check ABS.

Thanks for your help

2000 Black SVT Contour He who says Nitrous is cheating just got beat. www.Fast4doors.com
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Check your fuses, that usually happens with a fuse problem. Try disconnecting your battery and reconnecting just to reset everything and everything should be fine again. That's a quick fix as opposed to scanning.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
P
P
Same thing happened to me on a Honda CRV I had, at first they replaced an ABS sensor, but afterwards I had a bad wheel bearing. Was the car sitting in one place for a few weeks by any chance?

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by OutlawdSVT:
I did a search, but couldn't find anything that helps my situation.
My brake light and ABS lights are on all the time. Very rarely when I turn the car off then back on the lights go off for a little while. I haven't been able to get them to turn off since the last time they turned off. I have disconnected the battery and that doesn't help. I figured that I must have a short or bad sensor. I put a volt meter on each one of my sensors and all of them seemed to be working when I spin the wheels the voltage would go up the more I spun the wheel. Does anybody know the correct way to check the ABS sensors?
I have plenty of brake fluid. How would I check the master cylinder level sensor? I do have access to an OBDII scanner, but couldn't find the section that would check ABS.

Thanks for your help

An OBDII scan tool that will read ABS systems start at around $1000....

A fault condition that illuminates the BRAKE light will also disable the ABS system and will turn on the ABS light.

Possible fault conditions that would turn on the BRAKE light are low fluid level, a faulty praking brake switch, a wiring harness fault, or the ABS control module.

To check the low level switch, just unplug it and see if the BRAKE light goes off. Same for the parking brake switch. Same to see if the ABS module is turning on the BRAKE light.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by m4gician:
Check your fuses

x2

I had the same two lights. It ended up being an underhood fuse. Put one in and they were instantly gone.

O
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
O
Thanks for the advice. I have checked fuses and they are all ok. I unplugged brake fluid level plug and the light did not go out. I have a Ford CD and I'm not finding the answer. I guess I will keep searching.

2000 Black SVT Contour He who says Nitrous is cheating just got beat. www.Fast4doors.com
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by OutlawdSVT:
Thanks for the advice. I have checked fuses and they are all ok. I unplugged brake fluid level plug and the light did not go out. I have a Ford CD and I'm not finding the answer. I guess I will keep searching.

Since you have the service CD, you have the exact diagnostic procedure in hand.

All you need to do is use it. Unfortunately, that probably means you'll need to have it scanned if you don't follow the rest of my shortcut tip above.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
B
Learned patience the hard way
Learned patience the hard way
B
Robby,

Let me know what you figure out on this as I've got the same condition on my car. Add in the TCE brakes on all corners and it makes hard braking a bit wild considering the rears will lock up and cause a spin when the ABS fails to kick in. I actually had my car lined up to go to a dealer and have them run the diagnostic on it last summer when I had the hood/engine blow up at the same time.

My assumption was that I may have gotten air into the ABS module when I was bleeding the brakes and accidentally ran the master cylinder out of fluid. Any chance you recently bled your brakes and did the same thing? AFAIK, the dealer has to bleed the ABS module with a specific tool.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
They use a scan tool (WDS or NGS) to cycle the ABS. I don't know if any of the aftermarket scanners will also do that.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
I asked this question of Alex and don't think I got an answer??? I know it has the ability but the command has to be enter manually. Command line or software line?????
I understand Ford has new unit similiar to PDA???
Anyone have Alex's OBD II unit that has ABS. I don't have ABS in either of mind.
Go to test and enhance -I think- see if it gives you a choice?
To test. I've got a feeling that's was not available in the software revsion yet. So you have to manually do it. Back to the ? what is the command strings to cycle.

Paul
I'll be investigating.

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard