Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
I'm just trying to figure out that after driving the car for so long and checking the oil frequently, I don't smell a burning, nor do I see a SIGNIFICANT decrease on the dipstick, but I'm scared because I do see a SLIGHT decrease...should I try an oil change and a bottle of lucas stabilizer?

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
how much oil are you losing, and over how many miles?

'95 Contour GL 2.0l automatic, 110k miles
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
I guess over the standard interval of maybe 3000 miles, I've seen the dipstick go from over full to just a little under full (about a fraction of an inch under) which concerns me because I just changed the pan on this car as well as the tranny. :s

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
That seems insignificant, and not out of the norm.

'95 Contour GL 2.0l automatic, 110k miles
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by johnoh:

Most of our engines burn very little oil.

However, it is within Fords' specifications of 1 quart every 1000 miles. And you should not worry, unless you see oil dripping onto your driveway or lots of black smoke coming out the tailpipe.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Originally posted by johnoh:

Most of our engines burn very little oil.

However, it is within Fords' specifications of 1 quart every 1000 miles. And you should not worry, unless you see oil dripping onto your driveway or lots of black smoke coming out the tailpipe.

okay thanks, I'm going to change it this weekend, finally going synthetic after 255,000 km, lol woo wee :s will I see any benefit from there? LOL

H
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
H
Your oil usage is excellent for a car with that many miles, I don't think you need to worry about it.

95 Contour GL 2.0 Zetec auto trans electric everything
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
so basically don't worry about it? I mean I try and use Lucas whenever I can and going full synethtic 5w20 this weekend with a K&N filter .

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I've heard you look for bluish smoke coming out of the tail pipe. I hear that indicates buring oil.

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard