Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by 88troopercoupe:

Sounds like a water pump replacement is priority one. Thanks for your advice and keep it coming.

Water pump replacement is pretty easy on our cars, but it is not really a huge priority. That is, as long as your engine temp is good. If your impeller shatters it's not the end of the world. My waterpump impeller shattered at 148,000 miles on my 2.5 SE Contour. You don't need to replace it until it shatters. Just make sure to fish out the 4 or 5 peices of the shattered impeller and put it back together like a puzzle. That way you know you have all the pieces out of your cooling system!

98.5 SVT is the way to go... That is the year mine is!

Reebs

For Sale - 96 Tour Sport 2.5L MTX with SVT Exhaust, pre 98 trunklid with newer Contour Sport spoiler instead of lip spoiler, newer Contour sport rims. Newer paint job. Brand new floor mats. Rust Free! PM me for details and pics.
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by 88troopercoupe:
Thanks all. You guys seem to know your Contours. I'm a Mustang guy myself, but I have always wanted an SVT. Now I have the chance to pick one up, I think I'm gonna do it.

That oil starvation problem is crazy. You figure Ford would have caught that one. Was it corrected in the 99-00 models?

Sounds like a water pump replacement is priority one. Thanks for your advice and keep it coming.

There are a lot of really good, knowledgable people on here (among the idiots like me).

I believe the conventional wisdom on the oil starvation issue is to overfill the engine with oil. I think 6.5 quarts is what most people do.

I didn't have an SVT, but did have the 2.5 V6 and I had some Timing chain problems at about 90K miles, tensioners and guides.

I think the main problem you might experience is that you don't know how the car was treated and maintained by past owners. Was it "hotrodded" and not maintained?

Good luck. The SVT Contour is a nice, good looking, good driving car.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard