Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hello all, newbie here. I'm on the verge of buying a 1998.5 Contour SVT, Black/blue clean Carfax, no wrecks,104K miles. Questions:

1. Any problems in particular I should look for? I have heard of dash warping, water pump failure, etc.

2. What is the defect in the factory water pump that justifies replacement?

3. Timing belt or timing chain? When should it be replaced?

4. I read something about engine failure during right hand turns??? Does that make sense to anyone?

5. Lastly, this thing already has 104K on it. How many miles are the SVTs good for until things start needing replaced.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the advice you can give.

R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R

1. Dash warp seems to be a problem mainly on 99-00 models, I have the original water pump after 103k, but some have failed. Be gentle to the transmission, the differential is weak. (don't drop the clutch)

2. I believe it is the plastic impellars?

3. Timing chain

4. Long, fast right hand turns can cause oil starvation, air gets into the system.

5.Stay on top of the maintenance and it will treat you well, I have 103k and it feels no different than it did at 29k when I bought it.

I did have my transmission replaced but I believe it was due to abuse by the previous owner and my lack of having it checked out properly, I guess I learned my lesson there.

Welcome, this website is very valuable to contour owners and the search function is your best friend.

6450 of 6535 6-16-98
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
First of all, Welcome to CEG!

Second, WTH, I was gone for a week and now every new person has a black name... is this something to tell if they're new users or something?

Third:

1) There's a lot of threads on the problems, lemme dig a current one up... here ya go

2) The original plastic impellars on the water pumps break apart, causing the engine to overheat. Nearly 100% failure rate... get a new design plastic impellar or the metal one (the metal one has it's own problems, like seals going bad prematurly)

3) Chain... 60K? I really don't know... just guessing.

4) Engine heads don't have drain holes at the ends of the heads, so in hard right turns at high RPM (on/off ramps!), the oil all goes up to the head and gets trapped, which will cause the oil pump to suck up all the oil it can, then start sucking air. Starving the engine at this point.

3) Probly needs some work to get it to 100% again. Things like cleaning the TB and intake manifolds, possibly a new IAC valve among other wear items. Engine, however, is good for 250K+ miles if taken care of.

Last edited by Big Daddy Kane; 08/28/06 10:39 PM.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
Second, WTH, I was gone for a week and now every new person has a black name.

Wow! I never knew you could be so racist!

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
you could always watch out for Explosions, the car will explode 9 times out of 10 ...

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Welcome, 88troupercoupe . Don't worry about the timing chain. Most do not break. Well, maybe you should consider changing it when it hits 250K miles.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:

Ok, now he's normal? I'm not going crazy, am I?

Last edited by Big Daddy Kane; 08/29/06 02:30 AM.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:

Ok, now he's normal? I'm not going crazy, am I?

ROTFL. Either the new "sign-ups" can change the colors of their screen names or the mods/admins are messing with you.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
OP Offline
Thanks all. You guys seem to know your Contours. I'm a Mustang guy myself, but I have always wanted an SVT. Now I have the chance to pick one up, I think I'm gonna do it.

That oil starvation problem is crazy. You figure Ford would have caught that one. Was it corrected in the 99-00 models?

Sounds like a water pump replacement is priority one. Thanks for your advice and keep it coming.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by 88troopercoupe:
That oil starvation problem is crazy. You figure Ford would have caught that one. Was it corrected in the 99-00 models?

No, but the 3.0L Duratec had them. More than likely because it was designed after the 2.5L.

They've made a few different oil pans for the starvation issue, later ones having a series of baffles that seem to keep oil near the pickup tube. Guess that was cheaper than changing the heads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard