Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
hadookn Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hello,
I was recently passed down a 1998 Contour SE auto with one major problem. When i turn on the A/C it feels like the heater comes on instead. I do not think its a freon problem because it definately heater air coming out. Has anyone had this problem before or provide me any answers? Thanks in advance.

1998 Black Contour SE
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by hadookn:
Hello,
I was recently passed down a 1998 Contour SE auto with one major problem. When i turn on the A/C it feels like the heater comes on instead. I do not think its a freon problem because it definately heater air coming out. Has anyone had this problem before or provide me any answers? Thanks in advance.

Pull the TEMP knob off and see if it's stripped. If so, try turning the temp control shaft with pliers to see if it moves properly.

If it does move properly either with the pliers or if the knob is okay, then there is a problem with the blend door, its actuator motor, or power to the circuit. If the blower motor is properly controlled, the fuse tot he circuit is okay.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by hadookn:
Hello,

its not the gas? Are you sure? When was the last time you had it charged? Try turning the knob to hot see if it gets warmer on you. If not, you need a refill.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Welcome, hadookn .

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Open the hood, start the car, let it idle and turn on the a/c. The fan(s) should start up and the compressor clutch will engage and spin, then the hose along the top of the radiator will chill, if there is enough R134. If R134 is low the clutch will go on and off a lot, every few seconds, or not at all.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard