Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
This is sad. What a horrible way to die. Initial speculation is that the cause was human error. I know the odds are great, but I fly a lot, and this happening to me comes to mind a lot lately.
May they rest in peace.....

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
yea, I seen that on CNN. Said he took off from the wrong runway (which is significant because runways aren't all the same length). Sucks what happened, but careless people not paying attention to details caused this wreck. I feel bad for those people, thats a terrible way to go.

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
so is the one survivor unbreakable??

sorry, i had to.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Yea, it sounds like pilot error. He turned on the general aviation runway (3,500ft) instead of the commercial runway (7,000ft). A jet that size needs at least 5,000ft.

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Rumor now has it that the runway lights were on when they weren't supposed to be. Lots of fingerpointing right now ... it's sad to see such a tragedy happen due to something based on human error.

T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
im only about 10 miles away from this today. The local news has had continuing coverage all day long.

This airport is a very small airport, compared to others nearby.

The runways were just under construction in the past couple weeks, so some people are speculating that the new pavement may not have had all of the lanes and such painted yet.

The plane mistakenly took the shorter runway, which is about 3,500 feet long, and the particular jet needed at least 5,000 feet when fully loaded.

A very somber day in lexington...

One newlywed couple was just married last night; the news showed the tents and chairs were still set up this morning. They were leaving out of town this morning for their honeymoon.

98 SVT #1652 of 6535 My SVT "If everything seems to be going well, you obviously don't know what the hell is going on."
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I'd say it's human error by both the tower and the pilot.

The lights are controlled by the tower, however, if both runways are active, then they would have both on.

The tower also tells the pilot where to go. The tower could have told the pilot the wrong runway on accident, or the pilot misheard the tower and proceeded on the wrong runway. This should have been picked up by the tower, who are supposed to be watching the airfeild...

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
I'd say it's human error by both the tower and the pilot.

The tower also tells the pilot where to go. The tower could have told the pilot the wrong runway on accident, or the pilot misheard the tower and proceeded on the wrong runway. This should have been picked up by the tower, who are supposed to be watching the airfield...

If it were the latter (the pilot misheard the tower's taxi instructions) the controller should've been tipped off IMMEDIATELY as the pilot MUST read back ALL ground control instructions.

Every pilot has access to EVERY FAA controlled airport's diagrams (e.g. NACO LEX diagram ). There's no reason for a commercial pilot not to know about the airport that he's flying through.

Regardless... the blame lies with both the pilots and ground control.

>--------------< --Chemguru 99 CSVT Frost /Mid. Blue 00 Suzuki SV650 Red, Naked
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
It's called "pilot in command" for a reason. Before the speculation gets too far, remember that the pic ALWAYS has final responsibility for his aircraft.

Jim T.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats".--H.L. Mencken Bumper sticker, OXYMORON #65 - Liberal Thinker
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Your aeronautical knowledge is greater than I expected. or are some of you flyboys and not telling me?

But it's quite easy to speculate on the accident.

Complacency is a big issue with pilots. Once you "feel like you have it good", that's when you'll buy the farm.

Well said, Jim. We learned about that in our Aviation Safety class at Embry-Riddle.

Is my car for sale? PM me if you're in South FL.
Originally posted by XKontour98:
Haha that's awesome! Go GM!

YES, SIR!!! General Aviation is Looking good right now...http://www.beapilot.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard