Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
I just noticed the past couple days when I turn right I get a thudding or a knocking coming from the front left suspension area, and I can feel it in the steering wheel. There seems to be one 'thud' per rotation of the wheel. Any idea what this would be/how much to get it fixed?

"Mod your car tastefully because other people have to look at it." -Me
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
axle perhaps? I remember I had a problem when turning when my dif was about to break (or a few teeth broke). At the time I didn't know if it was the dif, ot the axle was popping in and out of the tranny. It did make a pop or thud sound whenever I turned. Going straight I had no noticable issues.

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
That's the textbook example of a worn CV joint. The bad joint is on the side that is noisy. Most likely it is the outer one. You will need to replace it. Once it is noisy, it is too late to regrease it and install a new boot. Usually you replace the entire shaft.

Check it out first, but I'm 99% sure that's what it is.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Sorry for the misleading information...just sharing a possibility based on my experience with a similar problem.

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Not to worry. ANY related information can be helpful. Thank you for contributing.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
Alright, thanks for the help! Any ideas on what it will cost to have my mechanic source the part and fix it? (just looking for a general ball-park figure)

"Mod your car tastefully because other people have to look at it." -Me
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Call Steve at Tousley Ford (White bear Lake, MN), or Bill Jenkins at TeamFordParts (Las vegas) for a DEEP DISCOUNT.

Steve's price is 10% over cost, or less, I do believe.
Bill's varies on differing parts, and is cheaper than steve on some things and slight more on others.

both contact info can be found in the Duratec Maintenance FAQ (duratec maintenance forum)

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Mine has been doing that for the past 8k, 4k when its been pretty bad. That was all interstate driving though. Gonna fix it next time I'm home (where the car is). But if you can't do it right away, then just do it whenever you can as I have definitly pushed mine too far but I'm jsut letting you know that it most likley won't leave you stranded yet. Oh yea, I'm pretty sure thats a CV joint too.

95 LX-with a mind of its own 24v DOHC SVT exhaust and K&N=all thats worth modding Go Fighting Sioux!!!

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard