Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
OK, I'm sure this has been covered, but I couldn't find it with a search. On my 96 Contour, with the blower switch turned to high, it will run for about 20sec and then shut off. (It doesn't blow out the defrost or anywhere else, it just quits.) You can turn it back to low speeds 1,2 and 3 and it works fine. But high speed for only about 20sec.

The AC is out so I would like to at least have the high speed blower for summer. Thanks for your help!

G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
The resistor pack going out usually makes it blow ONLY on high. Yours sounds just the opposite. But the resistor pack is only $13 at the dealership and is a 5 minute fix. Quick and cheap to try.
3M5Z-18591-BA.......resistor pack

Last edited by gearhead; 08/27/06 01:24 AM.

'99 Sport TropicGreen,Duratec, SVT exhaust, Brembo rotors, Ceramic pads, K&N filters(oil & air), Alpine CDM7874, Polk DB570 speakers front and rear. Fog light mod. 50% Formula One tint.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
It could be the wiring connector at the resistor pack has gotten loose/melted as well. The switch failing usually gives you high speed only.

OP Offline
Thanks for the quick replies. Where do I find the resistor pack? Behind the glovebox?

G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
If you look up from underneath the glovebox, you'll see a white rectangular panel with a 4 wire conector plugged in to it. It's held on with 1 screw at the bottom. The part is about 2 inches by 1 1/2 inches in size.

Last edited by gearhead; 08/27/06 02:19 PM.

'99 Sport TropicGreen,Duratec, SVT exhaust, Brembo rotors, Ceramic pads, K&N filters(oil & air), Alpine CDM7874, Polk DB570 speakers front and rear. Fog light mod. 50% Formula One tint.
OP Offline
Thanks for all your help and the picture. I'll post when I get it replaced and let you know how it turns out.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I would suspect the switch long before the resistor.. It the resistor opens, you loose all your lower speeds.

You can unplug the resistor completely and still have HIGH speed only. Try that and see how long it runs. If it still quits, you probably have a bad switch or the connector at the switch is corroded/damaged and is overheating.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
OP Offline
Well I found the resistor pack finally. It is about 1x2.5-in but is a gray colored "cardboard type" piece with a black connector, no white. Also at first glance I don't see any screws to remove it. Unplugged I have no low speeds only high. Either way plugged or unplugged, high stays on for maybe 1min at best, the same as before.

I'll look at the switch next. Is there also a high-speed relay that could be going bad? Seems like I read that somewhere, but I've got so many troubleshooting projects going right now I can't remember.

Thanks for your help so far.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
I would suspect the switch long before the resistor.. It the resistor opens, you lose all your lower speeds.

You can unplug the resistor completely and still have HIGH speed only. Try that and see how long it runs. If it still quits, you probably have a bad switch or the connector at the switch is corroded/damaged and is overheating.

Steve

What he said........

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard