Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
I saw a 3L block from a 03 Taurus I believe that looks pretty well intact, and the mileage only reads about 102,000km or about 60,500 miles? The yard I go to told me if I pull the whole thing out myself it'll only cost me $100 for the entire thing...is that a good deal to start my 3L project? Or am I in a world of hurt trying to do it myself and just should go for those blocks already pulled (aka the $500 budget ones) ?

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I bought an 03 shipped to a local pickup station with 2k yes two thousand miles for either 250 or 350...I don't remeber which one.

98 E0 SVT with some stuff
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
There's more to it than just pulling the engine. Compression check for one. Maybe you can do that before pulling it, then it might be worth a try if the compression tests pass.

You should still consider a bottom end rebuild & properly grease up the new bearings & such.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
There's more to it than just pulling the engine. Compression check for one. Maybe you can do that before pulling it, then it might be worth a try if the compression tests pass.

You should still consider a bottom end rebuild & properly grease up the new bearings & such.

ya I know, it'd be a long job with maybe someone else probably going to be like 2 or 3 people going at it.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
What're you willing to cut? Pull two axles, cut some wires and radiator hoses and power steering lines, Sawzall the exhaust, bleed the AC, unbolt the mounts and pull up. You don't care about the donor car, do you?

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
B
Learned patience the hard way
B
I pulled one of my own engines and it wasn't necessarily a cakewalk and I've installed over a dozen engines in contours and cougars. The taurus has a bit different structure that you've got to work around, but most of that can be torched or sawzalled through to get it done quickly. You can hack the wiring harnesses since it's not being reused along with all the hoses, tubing, etc. The particular car I was working on all ready had the front clip off and the hood/fenders were gone as well. It still took me 3-4 solid hours just hacking away at everything. The longest part of the process was unbolting the torque converter from the trans. The bolts are a PITA to get to.

All in all, I'd say most of the time it's worth having the junkyard pull and prep the motor unless you have nothing better to do with your time.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
P
P
Hi

Would a engine from a 1994 or 1996 Ford Taurus do it? I mean can i do a 3L conversion with that block?

B
B
Don't bother with it.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
P
P
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
Don't bother with it.

Rick

What about an block from an Mondeo ST220? though i think it has high compression pistons, and if i would like to turbocharge i would want low compression, i could change parts but it would save me some money getting away with original pistons, rods, crank in the beginning (thinking of low boost pressure for everyday driving).

This conversion/turbo thing is something that will grow over some years if i will do it.

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard