Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
I made the mistake of purchasing a pre 98 lid from ebay "1995 CONTOUR TRUNK LID. NO RUST, DENT'S OR DING'S. NO LIGHT'S. MAY HAVE NORMAL PAINT CHIP'S OR SCRATCHES FOR THE YEAR. GOOD CONDITION. EBAY ITEM CONTOUR TRUNK LID " and it came to me wrapped in nothing but a single sheet of cardboard.. the top corners looked like they have been dragged on concrete and the cardboard wrapping was damaged as though a sharp corner made its aquaintace... and to top it all off, the area around the license plate frame looks as though it was replaced at one time and sloppily siliconed back on (you may be able to see on the pic).. the only reason I paid the 70 total for it was because I really liked the lip spoiler it has, but that too did not make it to me in the 1995 shape I was promised.. anyways aside from the complaining I want to know three things
1. can I take off the lip spoiler and apply it to another trunk lid?
2. is it worth it to completly referb this trunk lid or should I junk yard in my area?
3. does anyone want to buy this from me? w/o the spoiler if it is detachable.

Thanks guys for the help as always!

T. Red 98 SE "TM"(â?¢) CTA intake Foglight Mod Audio Upgrades 55k:) 4 month owner and counting
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
trademark-

re your question #2- at the risk of an over-simplified answer.....find a lid you like at your local wreck yards! i would not spend my time attempting to re-furb this. that is, unless you really like projects!?

lakeside

on a lake in middle tn '98 mystique ls duratec atx de-badged, pin striped pre '98 sail panels b pillar black out mod silverstars- turns and highs in lows fogs on with parking lights mod
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
**WHEW** !!!!!

I almost bid and bought that thing! Sooooo glad now that I didn't!

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Trademark:
I made the mistake of purchasing a pre 98 lid from ebay "1995 CONTOUR TRUNK LID. NO RUST, DENT'S OR DING'S. NO LIGHT'S. MAY HAVE NORMAL PAINT CHIP'S OR SCRATCHES FOR THE YEAR. GOOD CONDITION. EBAY ITEM CONTOUR TRUNK LID " and it came to me wrapped in nothing but a single sheet of cardboard.. the top corners looked like they have been dragged on concrete and the cardboard wrapping was damaged as though a sharp corner made its aquaintace... and to top it all off, the area around the license plate frame looks as though it was replaced at one time and sloppily siliconed back on (you may be able to see on the pic).. the only reason I paid the 70 total for it was because I really liked the lip spoiler it has, but that too did not make it to me in the 1995 shape I was promised.. anyways aside from the complaining I want to know three things
2. is it worth it to completly referb this trunk lid or should I junk yard in my area?
3. does anyone want to buy this from me? w/o the spoiler if it is detachable.

Thanks guys for the help as always!

junk yards, usually pul it youreslf junk yards have better deals on this stuff, especially if you know anyone who works there. Typically, the lip spoiler is detachable because it is an option, but you may require a dremel tool and if you want to reattach some epoxy or goop or someting, as well as drilling holes into your trunk lid.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Trademark:

yes I took mine from a "u-pull-it" off a teal contour for a very cheap price but they are extremely hard to come by in a junk yard. I have only seen one in serval trips to the u-pull-it. The stock adhesive is VERY strong, you can snap the spoiler in half if your not careful.

There are several bolts that hold the spoiler to the trunk lid. Take those off. Now to get the lip to "un-stick" I used very thin/very strong rope/twine and slid it under the edge and worked it back and forth under the lip spoiler for the entire length. Basically this cuts through the adhesive and will loosen the spoiler. G/L

SOLD Polarg M-28 super bright white bulbs. Replace yellow stock license plate bulbs. See add in classifieds. WANTED:: EVO style CF hood
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
High-test fishing line and a good pair of leather gloves is the best way to go to saw through the adhesive. I use "SpiderWire." Either use gloves, or take a couple of bolts and wrap each end of the line around a bolt to make handles (HIGHLY recommended!!!).

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
Thanks a lot for the helpful info, I will go to Spaldings(A huge junk yard in Spokane) when I get my next Paycheck.. I did take off the lip spoiler.. alas it is not the T-red I needed(more of a pinkish..) but I can paint it to match I suppose..

T. Red 98 SE "TM"(â?¢) CTA intake Foglight Mod Audio Upgrades 55k:) 4 month owner and counting

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard