Next Thread
Print Thread
#1635880 08/26/06 02:09 AM
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
What's up everybody? Long time, no....post?

The Air Force is sending me to Germany for three years. Looks like I'm going to be taking the SVT with me. I'm pretty excited about getting her out on an unrestricted section of the Autobahn. I'm going to go to the Nurnburgring, too. All you have to do is pay a toll to drive on it.

So I have a couple questions:

Is there anybody in the CEG local to Spangdahlem, Germany, and what kind of OEM support can I hope to have there?

I'm also taking my motorcycle, cause it gets twice the gas milage my car does. *$5/litre*

MrRoarke865 '98 Silver Frost E0 '02 Honda Shadow ACE 750 MrsRoarke865 '97 Mystique 2.5 ATX
#1635881 08/26/06 02:15 AM
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Sounds cool, I'd love to drive on the autobahn. Bigdaddykane (Dave Kane) he is in the military or something in Germany as well. Hope you have fun!

Jason G. 1997 Mercury Mystique GS ZETEC ATX Born: 11/96
#1635882 08/27/06 11:39 PM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I'm at Ramstein, which is a couple hours south from Spangdahlem...

The Autobahn is WAY cooler than US Interstates due to the no speed limit sections and the fact that when there is a speed limit (usually 120 or 130 Km/h), everyone is going faster anyway. However, since Germany is the size of Montana with 82 million people, Autobahns are always jammed up, especially around the never-ending road construction which is pretty hairy in some places due to the left lanes only being 2m wide (read: 6.5ft)... it SUCKS trying to pass a semi when you've got a little over 6ft between the truck and a cement wall...

You're gonna get suprised on an Autobahn when you're crusing around at the threshold of speed and fuel economy (on my SVT around 85MPH or ~140Km/h), and some random diesel Audi wagon blows by you like you're in reverse... Don't try to stay ahead of a 3.0L TDI Audi on an Autobahn, they're faster than an SVT Contour

There are 5-6 known SVT Contours here on Ramstein alone (with a couple lightly modified), hotrod90019 in Mannheim (about an hour east of me), plus Rodewaryer has a family member at Speng with a silver SVT Contour.

Gas isn't a big deal here... you get 400L of 'cheap' fuel on base per month, which is more than plenty for anything that gets over 15MPG. I even drive to Stuttgart (115 miles away) almost every weekend and still don't use it all up.

Prices for gas is somthing like $0.89/L for Premium on base (translates to $3.37/Gal). On base gas is Esso, which off base charges 1.43â?¬/L for the same fuel (or $6.93/Gal).

AAFES also has these gas coupons you can buy from them. They come in books of 25, 50, 100, and 200L that you buy for the price of fuel (like a 200L book is $178). You can use them at Esso stations off base (all Autobahn Essos and most regular Essos, just ask before pumping to make sure), and you just fill up to like 30L and hand them 30L of coupons and go on your way. Makes it real easy to go on a vacation away from any US installations (like in Eastern Germany).

Also, see as much as you can while you're here... most people come to Europe and try to see everything in 2 weeks to a month time span... we have years to see it!

I've been here for a little under a year now, so I know quite a bit already. Don't hesitate to ask me stuff!

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard