Print Thread
#1635652 08/25/06 06:38 PM
Y
Y2KSVT Offline OP
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Tony's thread about the intern got me in the mood to rant!

So I've been with my current company for over 2 years. I've always done a good job, and done everything that's been asked of me. Come review time, it seems they like to drop the ball on me, saying that I don't do enough work!?!? Evidently, I'm supposed to ask for more work. Well, I work in collections, and we're all assigned our own portfolios. I never hear anything about it until review time. Anyway, in the last year, I've taken on a TON more work, and it seems to go unnoticed, which is fine by me. The less attention I get from my boss, the better I suppose.

Anyway, we get a new employee in about 4-5 months ago. She is a good friend of my boss. Very emotional, and having a really tough time with the job. She's cried on over a handful of occasions. Her job functions have been extremely light, and when they move her to something new, they pass on her other work to somebody else. Well today, I just received one of her functions. I'm now handling 5 portfolios, and 2 other major functions of this job. She has one portfolio, and barely seems to be catching on!

I'm not the only person here that is aware of this. Quite a few of us are irritated with the situation, but don't know how to go about bringing it up. I brought up another instance with my boss(her friend), where she had completely screwed me over for 2 months, while holding onto some reports that I was supposed to be receiving. Nothing was ever said to her about it! I think I'd just be wasting my time, explaining this to my boss. Not to mention, she was hired in as a Sr. Collector(more pay), and has ZERO experience!

Sorry for the long rant, and thanks for reading.

CLIFFS NOTES: I bust my ass. New employee well out of training, still can't handle 1/10th of what I do, and I get more work piled up, while her workload gets smaller. I turn into a tornado of anger. The end.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
#1635653 08/25/06 06:47 PM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I worked collections while in my senior year in college. That is a horrible [censored] job. Dragging myself out of bed to cold call deadbeats was very tough.

Sorry to not be of much help, but I think I'd look for a new job.

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
#1635654 08/25/06 06:52 PM
Y
Y2KSVT Offline OP
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by Fmr12B:
I worked collections while in my senior year in college. That is a horrible [censored] job. Dragging myself out of bed to cold call deadbeats was very tough.

Sorry to not be of much help, but I think I'd look for a new job.

Actually, I did that type of collection work for a large bank, for about 15 months. It was fun actually, calling a bunch of low-lifes that just didn't want to make their loan payments. I have thick skin with people I don't know, so I'd usually end up laughing when they'd cuss me out. Not sure why they'd hang up on me..

I actually work for a really large Insurance company. It's not just collections, but a lot of accounting functions as well. It's a lot more mellow when I do call anyone, because I'm dealing with Insurance Agent's, more-so on commercial accounts. For instance, I'm the representative for Lingenfelter Performance.

Oh yeah, I'm working on a new job as we speak.

Mark

#1635655 08/25/06 06:59 PM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

With Lingenfelter?

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
#1635656 08/25/06 07:08 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
New employees like that drive me crazy. I hate having to pick up someone elses slack.

I busted my butt when I started this job to become familiar with how things are done, and become more independent. I always hated having to show new employees how to do things, so I tried not to be that person to everyone else in my department.

Your boss needs to become aware of how the new employee is working, and if she can't handle the job, then she needs to leave. Simple as that.

As Stazi's sig says:

"Lack of planning on your part, does not constitute and emergency on my part"

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
#1635657 08/25/06 07:19 PM
Y
Y2KSVT Offline OP
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by Derk-xB:
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

With Lingenfelter?

Haha, wouldn't that be fun!? Actually, it's with another financial group, but with the opportunity to advance.

And Tony, I know what you mean! I'm one of those guys that gets the job done. I hate mistakes, and I hate having to correct other people's careless errors. Basically, there are a handful of us that have a ton of responsibility here, and it's easier to just dump more onto us, than to take somebody off of their training wheels to be even somewhat self-sufficient.

Mark

Link Copied to Clipboard