Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1635578 08/25/06 03:33 PM
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
All the signs are present kick back in the steering wheel, Loud snaps or clanks in turns and coming out of them, tranny feels like it slips a little during the snaps and clanks. The snaps are hard, they shake the change in the little change tray by the steering wheel. Drives fine in straight line or very light curves, but once those turns hit ouch sounds like a sledge hammer is hittin the tranny. The car is for a while now I have another vehicle to borrow.

However I don't know what route to choose, I saw the Torsen on SP's sight for $599.00, the Quaife was like $890.00. I didn't really notice any warranties on them. My buddy is going to help me for free and has done a handful of motor and tranny swaps, including rebuilds. The money is tight, but it has to be spent I guess just wanted to see what you guys think. They have MTX-75's on the sight for under $900.00 as well, but would that solve my differential problem? I thought the tranny once split is separate from the diff box.

PS car has 132K on it right now. I just realized this might have to go in Duratec Performance, but I am usually in the East Great Lakes Forum.

Last edited by TheeSVTShow; 08/25/06 04:06 PM.

98.5 T-red SVTour 05 Blue Yamaha R6 for sale PM me
#1635579 08/25/06 04:14 PM
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Just pull it and send it to Terry for an inspection. He'll let you know what it needs.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
#1635580 08/25/06 11:21 PM
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by TheeSVTShow:

I saw the Torsen on SP's sight for $599.00, the Quaife was like $890.00. I didn't really notice any warranties on them. My buddy is going to help me for free and has done a handful of motor and tranny swaps, including rebuilds. The money is tight, but it has to be spent I guess just wanted to see what you guys think. They have MTX-75's on the sight for under $900.00 as well, but would that solve my differential problem?

I believe only Quaife offers a warrenty on their LSDs, but I haven't really heard of anyone blowing either a torsen or a quaife in a Contour! I have the Torsen and love it, but if you choose to go for a quaife I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

And to answer your other question, yes a different transmission will solve your diff problem... as long as you don't buy a trans with a blown diff too! $900 for a stock MTX-75 is way to much. I bought my recently Rebuilt trans with low miles, a Torsen LSD, and the seller included a used Fidanza lightweight flywheel, and a Steeda Short throw shifter for $600 or $700 dollars total. Thanks Tim!!! Tim even helped with the install!

I sold my stock trans with stock diff for $300 which is about the going rate for them. If you want the cheap route, just buy a stock trans for a few hundred dollars and have your buddy help you put it in. Otherwise, send it to Terry and come up with $1500-$2000 for a awesomely built trans with a LSD!

Just my 2 cents. Hope all goes well.

-Reebs-

For Sale - 96 Tour Sport 2.5L MTX with SVT Exhaust, pre 98 trunklid with newer Contour Sport spoiler instead of lip spoiler, newer Contour sport rims. Newer paint job. Brand new floor mats. Rust Free! PM me for details and pics.
#1635581 08/26/06 12:21 AM
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Reebs:
Originally posted by TheeSVTShow:

I saw the Torsen on SP's sight for $599.00, the Quaife was like $890.00. I didn't really notice any warranties on them. My buddy is going to help me for free and has done a handful of motor and tranny swaps, including rebuilds. The money is tight, but it has to be spent I guess just wanted to see what you guys think. They have MTX-75's on the sight for under $900.00 as well, but would that solve my differential problem?

I believe only Quaife offers a warrenty on their LSDs, but I haven't really heard of anyone blowing either a torsen or a quaife in a Contour! I have the Torsen and love it, but if you choose to go for a quaife I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

And to answer your other question, yes a different transmission will solve your diff problem... as long as you don't buy a trans with a blown diff too! $900 for a stock MTX-75 is way to much. I bought my recently Rebuilt trans with low miles, a Torsen LSD, and the seller included a used Fidanza lightweight flywheel, and a Steeda Short throw shifter for $600 or $700 dollars total. Thanks Tim!!! Tim even helped with the install!

I sold my stock trans with stock diff for $300 which is about the going rate for them. If you want the cheap route, just buy a stock trans for a few hundred dollars and have your buddy help you put it in. Otherwise, send it to Terry and come up with $1500-$2000 for a awesomely built trans with a LSD!

Just my 2 cents. Hope all goes well.

-Reebs-

I know Terry does fantastical work, I thought about this option a while back. Problem is I am going to school and I am making crap a few hours a week. Money is real tight right now.

What if I just dropped the current tranny a put the Torsen LSD in it? Instead of buying a used tranny and doing the same. I understand the mileage thing being a factor. However, does your friend Tim have any more rebuilds?

#1635582 08/29/06 03:56 AM
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
I called around for a used tranny and the 4 were all over 75K and were asking 700.00 at the cheapest. There was one in Alabama for $250.00 but it had a cracked housing. I just went ahead and ordered the Euro-Spec from SP about 25 minutes ago. I am sure the way the differential sounds the tranny itself might need a lot more overhaul done for sourrounding internals. $895.00 plus tax and shipping for a brand new tranny, over the other junk I could find is not bad. I would love to buy one like the one you found with all those sweet upgrades but I can't seem to find anything.

#1635583 08/29/06 11:17 PM
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
Originally posted by todras:
Just pull it and send it to Terry for an inspection. He'll let you know what it needs.

This is one area of the Contour you don't wanna cut corners on, trust us Terry is VERY honest and once you explain your situation to him he may be able to work with you, its worth a shot

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
#1635584 08/29/06 11:38 PM
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Klasse Act:
Originally posted by todras:

This is one area of the Contour you don't wanna cut corners on, trust us Terry is VERY honest and once you explain your situation to him he may be able to work with you, its worth a shot

I do trust you guys, right now I am tight on money and in school. I don't plan on making my car a big hp project in the near future. I know Terry's work speaks for itself but I don't have the money to fork over for big upgrades he offers. I figured a brand new transmission would be the best route to go right now for me. I had emailed Terry a while back when there was a faint rattling noise coming from the diff box and he was helpful on explaining what he thought it was. Thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate everyone's help, I don't feel so lost when trying to resolve this issue.

#1635585 08/30/06 12:57 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Pissing away money - and it's EXACTLY that! - on installing another POS stock diff into a COntour is absolutely retarded! A couple of guys have done this and been nitch-slapped by their own car after they busted the OEM replacement AGAIN!

Don't be a dumb-ass - get a Quaife or Torsen, or don't bother...seriously. IF money is tight - then baby it the car if it hasn't sh!t the bed already, and save up for the Terry Haines rebuild w/LSD. Either that or get a 0% credit card or a loan from your folks, etc.

You WILL regret putting a stock diff into your car, after you pay all the labor and crap to do this and it breaks again.

Don't be a ignoramous!

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
#1635586 08/30/06 07:36 PM
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Stazi:
Pissing away money - and it's EXACTLY that! - on installing another POS stock diff into a COntour is absolutely retarded! A couple of guys have done this and been nitch-slapped by their own car after they busted the OEM replacement AGAIN!

Don't be a dumb-ass - get a Quaife or Torsen, or don't bother...seriously. IF money is tight - then baby it the car if it hasn't sh!t the bed already, and save up for the Terry Haines rebuild w/LSD. Either that or get a 0% credit card or a loan from your folks, etc.

You WILL regret putting a stock diff into your car, after you pay all the labor and crap to do this and it breaks again.

Don't be a ignoramous!

It lasted 132K on medium and harsh driving with all stock tranny up to this point. I understand the Torsen and Quaife can handle a lot of abuse but that's just the type of abuse I don't plan on putting on the car. I bought it with 83K and it's still going to be my daily driver for another few years and then I am getting something else. So right now it gets a whole new tranny, and I am going to replace the clutch and throwout bearing along with that project. Torsen's are unavailable and that leaves Quaife which IMO is a lot of money for me to spend on just a diff, but don't get me wrong Quaife would the higher picked diff of choice. The way the tranny sounds after the diff started to go bad is horrible and seems like more needs to be swapped out. I would love to have Terry upgrade it with the Quaife LSD but I am broke and can't bug the parents for any money. After I rip the tranny I will have one perfect for a rebuild and upgrade later down the road. I have been looking at what he offers for a few months now and they all sound great but like I said I don't plan on making it a possible big hp project until after I finish the program I am in. I know everyone is trying to push me on the best possible route but it sucks that I can't right now.

How did those other guys bust the OEM diff again?

ps There is no way to baby the car right now, it snaps so hard in any kind of driving and jolts the car forward, and it wanders in turns as well.

#1635587 08/30/06 07:39 PM
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Also the car has been parked for almost a week and I am borrowing a car that is supposed to be up for sale right now. Also I am not getting it dropped and reinstalled at a shop, we are doing it ourselves.

Last edited by TheeSVTShow; 08/30/06 07:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  WorldTour_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard