Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by ZeroHour:
No I printed the how to and I did search. Not alot comes up for inner CV joints. And searching for the removing the LCA game me alot of the posts saying the LCA comes off real easy.

But all of this maybe have something to do with the fact that the springs that came off my car are 18 inches long. Is that normal height of the stockers? It seems ungodly huge and I had alternate spring comrpessors to get it off.

I guess you missed this one, then. It's a ways back.

Spring length is normal, but again I can't fathom how that has anything to do with you pulling your CV joint apart? Every job is different, I guess.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
You should have searched or at least asked first. The proper and oddly enough, the quickest way to do this is to disconnect everything but the strut from the knuckle and then remove the knuckle end of the cv joint from the hub. This isn't rocket science, but trying to cut corners with suspension work is only asking for problems!

Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by fastcougar:
You should have searched or at least asked first. The proper and oddly enough, the quickest way to do this is to disconnect everything but the strut from the knuckle and then remove the knuckle end of the cv joint from the hub. This isn't rocket science, but trying to cut corners with suspension work is only asking for problems!

I'll try to understand wtf that meant later. Especially since I was removing the lca from the knuckle when it pulled out. But I'm not about to waste time on you.

Anyway, maybe some of my problem is that there seems to be alot of names thrown at this joint. So that probably didn't help in my searching. And that post would have been valuable to find a little sooner.

But the strut(attached to knuckle) did have a big part to play in pulling out the inner joint. The thing kicked straight out to the side when the lca let loose. I'm still not sure how the thing went straight out of the car, I was above the fender standing on the pry bar. All I know is that I was above it, and out pry let loose and bam! There a strut sticking out the side of my car and the boot over the tripod bearing is the only thing holding it.

But either way Thanks for the info and the help. I still have to wait on the strut bearings to even start putting things back together.

I have messed with the shaft enough to get the knuckle to line up with the ball joint on the LCA. It feels like the tripod bearing is back in the slots. Also I can only turn the shaft to where it hits the stop on the tranny because the trans is in park.

I'll try to get pictures/video up.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
I pulled the joint out but could not get it to go back in. Pulled the boot back, but in new grease, put pack together and put on new clamp. Next time I was more conscience and did not pull apart.

Rich S

1998 SVT 1995 Contour 2.5 MTX 215K miles Son's car(dead and buried) 1997 Contour 2.0 ATX 1998 Contour 2.5 ATX 2004 Tauras Wagon 3.0 Duratec
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard