Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1634687 08/23/06 07:25 PM
S
svt2sho Offline OP
OP Offline
S
hi im pretty new to the site, i really want to put a 3 liter into my 98 svt, i have the knowledge and the the moey i just need to have a few questions answered. could someone thats very familiar with doing a 3 liter swap either give me a call or leave me your phone number. thanx trent 1-608-206-2547

#1634688 08/23/06 07:37 PM
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Umm how about reading and asking questions. We're not calling complete strangers. Especially on our dime. Everything is here. People have read what is here and done complete 3L swaps w/o even posting. They posted a thank you stating that everything was here it that contour.org rocks the house with knowledge.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
#1634689 08/23/06 07:42 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
You should try the 3 liter help desk at

555-

Vinny 2000 T-RED CSVT MODS: 18" REV model 2 ST200 struts/Roush springs CTA intake Pipe/K&N Filter Dtec Heatshield Optimized TB True Duals w/ magnaflow mufflers/resonators
#1634690 08/23/06 07:57 PM
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
OMG! Love it. Classic.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
S
svt2sho Offline OP
OP Offline
S
ive read all the forums but still am not completelty understanding everything. ok i am starting out with an 98 svt. i purchased a 3.0 from a 2001 taurus for $550 with 53k. i am wondering what all i need to change over from my 2.5 to the 3.0. i am also looking to buy a lightweight flywheel and like a stage 2 clutch if anyone has one. i was wondring what i should do use the 2.5 heads or the 3.0 and anything else you guys think i should know before i start ripping my car apart. and also is all the wiring the same or will i need to extend plugs or anything like that?

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
These are all pretty basic questions that can be found pretty easily.

Basically, do homework on what swap you want to do. I'm assuming your not doing a straight 3L drop in, so that leaves 2 options. Using the 3L heads ported to the 2.5 LIM or using the 2.5 heads.

There is a lot of arguement on which makes more power, but after a lot of research in these forums I decided on using the 3L heads. Make up your own mind.

If you decide to use the 2.5 heads, then I believe there are some oil passages that need to be plugged, I didn't go that route so to learn more about it, search. The 3L route requuires porting/reshaping the intake ports on the heads, so they match up with the 2.5's LIM (lower intake manifold) ports. Why is it required? The 3L intake ports are oval ported, and the 2.5 lim is split ported. Search and you'll see exactly what you have to do.

What I did, was use the 3L bottom end (broked down and rebuilt) and the 3L heads (port matched). Then I sed all the components off my 2.5. Including oil pan, timing chains (and gear), cams, covers, imtakes, fuel rail, tb, etc...

I suggest looking at blackcoog's cardomain site, demonsvt's website, and tom warmongers website for a lot of info. And of course...all the information is on the site, remember when you search, to search the 3L forum and change to "all dates" and sometimes use different search methods. (like, search intake, LIM, Lower plenum, etc for info on the lower intake)

and the wiring is the same. Use all the 2.5 wiring and sensors.

*edit*
This is also a great time to upgrade your tranny. I recommend sending it to Terry Haines, as he's the tranny guru. Make sure you get a LSD upgrade!

Also, I think its SVT cuervo (sp?) who sells spec clutches and flywheels for a discounted price. Most people suggest going for a stage 1 unless you are running a turbo or some other extreme method of forced induction. Then its recommended to use stage 3. The stage 2's are made using kevlar and some people had complaints of glazing, while others have had no issues so...do some homework.

Last edited by posthuman63t; 08/23/06 11:36 PM.

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by posthuman63t:
These are all pretty basic questions that can be found pretty easily.

Basically, do homework on what swap you want to do. I'm assuming your not doing a straight 3L drop in, so that leaves 2 options. Using the 3L heads ported to the 2.5 LIM or using the 2.5 heads.

There is a lot of arguement on which makes more power, but after a lot of research in these forums I decided on using the 3L heads. Make up your own mind.

If you decide to use the 2.5 heads, then I believe there are some oil passages that need to be plugged, I didn't go that route so to learn more about it, search. The 3L route requuires porting/reshaping the intake ports on the heads, so they match up with the 2.5's LIM (lower intake manifold) ports. Why is it required? The 3L intake ports are oval ported, and the 2.5 lim is split ported. Search and you'll see exactly what you have to do.

What I did, was use the 3L bottom end (broked down and rebuilt) and the 3L heads (port matched). Then I sed all the components off my 2.5. Including oil pan, timing chains (and gear), cams, covers, imtakes, fuel rail, tb, etc...

I suggest looking at blackcoog's cardomain site, demonsvt's website, and tom warmongers website for a lot of info. And of course...all the information is on the site, remember when you search, to search the 3L forum and change to "all dates" and sometimes use different search methods. (like, search intake, LIM, Lower plenum, etc for info on the lower intake)

and the wiring is the same. Use all the 2.5 wiring and sensors.

*edit*
This is also a great time to upgrade your tranny. I recommend sending it to Terry Haines, as he's the tranny guru. Make sure you get a LSD upgrade!

Also, I think its SVT cuervo (sp?) who sells spec clutches and flywheels for a discounted price. Most people suggest going for a stage 1 unless you are running a turbo or some other extreme method of forced induction. Then its recommended to use stage 3. The stage 2's are made using kevlar and some people had complaints of glazing, while others have had no issues so...do some homework.

Good post! What about the full Oval Port 3 Liter swap!?!? Just use the 3 Liter intake manifolds on the 3 liter block and heads. Another option if you don't want to port match.

I hope my info is correct! Anyone want to clarify?

Reebs

For Sale - 96 Tour Sport 2.5L MTX with SVT Exhaust, pre 98 trunklid with newer Contour Sport spoiler instead of lip spoiler, newer Contour sport rims. Newer paint job. Brand new floor mats. Rust Free! PM me for details and pics.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Thanks, and yes you can do the straight 3L swap (mentioned in my last post briefly, but wasn't the route he seemed to be leaning towards)

As I said before, all the information needed is here for all of he swaps. How do I know? Because This site is what I used to do my build and get all the information for it as well. And if you get stuck, or can't find something, then feel free to make a detailed post and someone will give you help as soon as possible.

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
#1634695 09/04/06 11:18 PM
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Pienstars:
You should try the 3 liter help desk at

555-

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard