Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Cruise inspires pony car rumble

Josee Valcourt / The Detroit News

ROYAL OAK -- Woodward wasn't big enough Tuesday morning for two legendary Detroit muscle cars that will soon roar back into showrooms.

The Woodward Dream Cruise provided the backdrop for the first salvo in a much-anticipated showdown between the Chevrolet Camaro and the Dodge Challenger.

To set the scene, the Chrysler Group was hosting a media event in front of Duggan's Irish Pub in Royal Oak. The automaker was showing off its Dodge Challenger concept muscle car and the 1970 Challenger that inspired it.

Without warning, a Chevrolet car hauler embossed with a massive bowtie logo and carrying two Camaros -- the 2006 concept car and a 1969 classic -- came rolling by, turning the head of media members.

Jason Vines, Chrysler's top PR official, took the slow-speed Camaro drive-by as an invitation for a Dream Cruise rumble.

He called it a "wuss" move to haul the Camaros in a trailer rather than driving the vehicles by Duggan's.

Chevy spokesman Terry Rhadigan denied a turf war. General Motors Corp. has been showcasing the Camaros for days on Woodward as part of the Dream Cruise and they were en route to two GM events Tuesday, he said.

"We'll definitely do battle with them in the showroom in a couple of years, but right now this was more or less an opportunity to display the iconic brand," he said.

Both Dodge and Chevrolet have promised to build production versions of vehicles in the next couple years.

The muscle car tussle caught the attention of Jalopnik.com, a popular auto Web site, which likened it to a Sharks-versus-Jets feud.

"Chevy made a point of letting the Chrysler folks know that they were stepping on the General's turf almost goading the Chrysler Group into a 'West Side Story'-like knife fight," the Web site said.

"It slowly passed in the right lane," Ray Wert, Detroit associate editor for Jalopnik.com, told The Detroit News. "It was quite possibly the greatest coincidence in the history of automobiles."

The modern-day muscle car battle reignited when Ford Motor Co. gave its 2005 Mustang a throwback design.

Dodge and Chevy entering the fray is a good for Detroit and the auto industry, Wert said.

"This is what the enthusiasts want," Wert said. "This gets their blood running. The baby boomers all want to push their pony car as being the best pony car among them all."

Vines agreed, but couldn't help taking one more swipe at his rival.

"It's healthy for Detroit and it's healthy for the industry," Vines said. "Despite the lameness of the GM stunt, it gets people talking."

'04 Mazda6S MTX Injen CAI, 18% Tint, Magnaflow Catback, CPE-MAFc My Mazda6 PICS Toadster's Website
K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
Would have been even better if the Camaro was off the trailer. Pull up, rev a few times, and do a massive burnout right there. Thats what I would have done!

If they did that on purpose, go GM.

Last edited by KingpinSVT; 08/23/06 05:18 PM.

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
that was awesome.

here's more pics

and a few more

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Hahahaha. I thought I heard something about that. Awesome.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Just for that, I like GM A bit more now fow now

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
Response from "your boy": Yo! Notice the two Challengers, including the concept-to-be- production-in-08, drove into our event while the two Camaros had to be towed. And Mr. Rhadigan, I'll get you buddy!
-Jason Vines

Oh boy, we're totally taking bets for a concept car versus concept car drag race down Woodward Avenue at high noon this Saturday at the Dream Cruise. But since they're both concepts, stop light to stop light won't quite work, so we guess it'll be the first one to 50mph, or whichever motor falls first from the engine bay of the pony.

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Royal Oak FTMFW!!!!!

I saw both of those cars over the weekend. Good times.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
are either of those concepts road worthy yet? GM probably didn't drive the Camaro because it can't be driven yet.

For Sale: - Sony PSP with a Baseball 2k6 and the movie Crash. $100 - 1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible w/ Auto-Stick. Needs Restoration. $1200 OBO
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
there too good to be driven right now. Do you think they want to ruin there babies? No. I respec them for what they are doing, but i have to hand it to Ford for coming up with the idea. Ford should have known that this would happen if it took off. I like how it was a mad scramble to come out with the next concept muscle car and they were released at about the same time. Ford just released that they are going to redesign the Mustang again for 2008. It would have been better if a mustang was there too. All three in the same place would ahve been great. And not one of the V6's i mean a V8.

Dan 2000 Mercury Mystique Tidal Wave Blue 17" Maxxim Ahead Gold Rims ED Molded Bodykit http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2384075
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
Haha that's awesome! Go GM!

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard