Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Me again

I jumped onto the front suspension this morning. And I have a few questions/comments.

first off holy crap is the front sway bar bushing in a tight spot. I never really looked at it before. I can understand why you need to drop the sub frame.

My of my questions is, how tight/loose should the front sway bar end link be? (if it is still called an end link for the front) I know it needs to flex for the steering. But I can twist mine by hand. The side to side motion I get from fist fighting with it seems to be from the bushings on the front sway bar. But I would still like to know or at least have an idea of how they should feel. I could always order these in and have them by monday next week. (first day back @ esu) But it would make for a quick weekend project.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by ZeroHour:
Me again

My of my questions is, how tight/loose should the front sway bar end link be? (if it is still called an end link for the front) I know it needs to flex for the steering. But I can twist mine by hand. The side to side motion I get from fist fighting with it seems to be from the bushings on the front sway bar. But I would still like to know or at least have an idea of how they should feel. I could always order these in and have them by monday next week. (first day back @ esu) But it would make for a quick weekend project.

They are not the same as on the rear. They really don't have bushings to speak of. They are ball-and-socket joints, and as such have more freedom than the rear endlinks.

The motion you describe is normal, IMO. Check for "play" in the joints, or torn boots. Otherwise, you should be fine.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Sounds good to me!

What size torx is the on the lower control arm? is it t-55?

I'll probably end up just going buying an entire set of torx bits... Its a same no one in my house can leave my tools alone I can't either of the two torx bits I had to begin with...

But, I have a dentist post-op check for my wisdom teeth, and then I'm getting some stuff for college. I'll probably hit advanced on the way home.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by ZeroHour:
Sounds good to me!

What size torx is the on the lower control arm? is it t-55?

I'll probably end up just going buying an entire set of torx bits... Its a same no one in my house can leave my tools alone I can't either of the two torx bits I had to begin with...

But, I have a dentist post-op check for my wisdom teeth, and then I'm getting some stuff for college. I'll probably hit advanced on the way home.

I bought a set of Stanley bits from Wally world when I was in the middle of my first brake job because a) I couldn't find individual bits in the right size and b) the hour was late and nobody else was open. I've actually used them a lot since then. How did I live without these things?

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
worst part is I started cleaning the work bench trying to find the torx set we have.

I found my t47 from the brakes

I found the top stopper for a t-55

Then I found a box for a torx bit set that had no torx bits in!

Looks like I'm off to advanced to buy my own set

I've come to realize if I buy my own tools and keep my in my car, I will have them! (i.e. my wrench set, socket set, jumper cables, screwdriver set, hammer, wires, wire connectors, duct tape) my car is a mobile garage! And I just bought my own jack but I don't think that will be traveling with the car it came with one

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard