Next Thread
Print Thread
#1634354 08/23/06 05:22 AM
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
OP Offline
H
I washed the SVT and was disturbed by something I found on the rear of the car. There were about a dozen or so tiny brown spots on the bumper and the bottom of the trunklid (no where else on the car). They weren't coming off with soap and water, so I took the clay bar to them. That removed the brown "crust" but left yellow marks behind. No amount of claying would remove the marks. So, I started working with what I had, trying various things. I was able to get the marks out of the trunklid using a paint cleaner, but the marks in the bumper wouldn't even come out with rubbing compound.

I think they're small and light enough that only I will ever notice them, but it still bugs me. Is there anything else I can try?

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
#1634355 08/23/06 06:05 AM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
sounds to me like tar from a newly paved road....it can be a PITA sometimes to get off. Reason I say this is b/c each time I have taken tar spots off it starts as a dark brown dot and as it comes off it gets lighter (dark brown, light brown, dark yellow, light yellow, and then eventually gone).

Do you recall driving on a newly resurfaced road recently?

As far as getting it off I've always had luck w/ the clay bar. Not sure what else would work well. Perhaps simple green

SOLD Polarg M-28 super bright white bulbs. Replace yellow stock license plate bulbs. See add in classifieds. WANTED:: EVO style CF hood
#1634356 08/23/06 06:15 AM
H
OP Offline
H
Originally posted by teamSVTour:
Do you recall driving on a newly resurfaced road recently?

Yes. Even worse, it was only half finished, meaning it was basically loose asphalt. I immediately stopped, turned around, and went back to regular pavement. Still, this stuff was nowhere else on the body. There was tar on the sideskirts, but that came off with the washwater.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
#1634357 08/23/06 06:46 AM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Yep, been there before...i once had a bunch of specks and strings of tar on the body behind each wheel...WD-40 and rubbing alcohol worked for me....whether its bad for the paint i don't know, but it worked. Rinse off with water after.

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard