Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
Seriously, I will pay anyone (amount to be agreed upon) who can put my alternator back in a reasonable amount of time. I followed the How-to, got the thing out, bought the part, hooked all the wires back up, but I can't get the damned thing back into the bracket. All you have to do is put it back and start the bolts, I can handle finishing up.

My arms are scraped, bruised, and fatigued and I'm done messing with it. I've probably spent as much time TRYING to put the thing back on the bracket as I did taking the thing out.

So if you're skilled at installing the alternator please PM me. I don't care if you're a seasoned mechanic or the only thing you've ever done is changing the alternator on the V6 Contour. As long as you've done it a few times and are skilled at it!

I'm in SE Michigan near Royal Oak. I need to do this preferrably Wednesday or Thursday, but definitely before Monday. Please help!
andy

Andy 96 Contour V6 101000 miles
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
I will be in royal Oak tomorrow. My parents live there.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Dude the hard part is done. Get a small pry bar and push the bushings in the bracket out a little. When you tighten the 2 bolts they will slide back where they should be. You only have to move then 2-3 mm out so it's easier to slide the alt. in.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I've done a few alternators now. I've found that it's easier if you grease up the area around holes on the alternator as well as the areas on the bracket where the alt touches. First get the top part of the alt in...just jam it up there, get the bolt through, then you can pivot it and swing the lower part of the alt into the other end of the bracket with force.

Last edited by amarv12; 08/23/06 12:49 AM.

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by todras:
Dude the hard part is done. Get a small pry bar and push the bushings in the bracket out a little. When you tighten the 2 bolts they will slide back where they should be. You only have to move then 2-3 mm out so it's easier to slide the alt. in.

Yes, that's what everyone keeps telling me, that the hard part is done. Which is why I'm offering cash money because for someone who can do it quick it's easy money. Yet I can't seem to "slide" the alt. in, get the 2 holes to line up, and put the bottom bolt in temporarily from the passenger side. Without the connectors, I can sometimes line up the 2 holes. With the connectors, the top hole refuses to line up. I can get the bottom to line up and the top within the bracket, but I can't get leverage to push it in place. I did try to move the sliding bushing (not knowing whether they moved or not) but my pry bar is too big to fit in there. I filed the alt tab a little bit hoping to make it easier, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. So, any takers?

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I'd come help you for free... but I have work/ school tomorrow and thursday. Friday morning I leave for petosky... and wont be back till sunday. Sorry man, I'd love to help... Don't give up at it, its a great learning experience. Lining it up is tricky indeed, something I found helpful was to thread a bolt in from the back side (facing wheel well), if you can get that started then just hold it in place and start it from the back. All you need is one bolt in and your golden.

R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by RawBurt:
All you need is one bolt in and your golden.

Yeah, forget about the other bolt. It's not needed.

Just kidding Robert, we know whatcha mean!

For Sale - 96 Tour Sport 2.5L MTX with SVT Exhaust, pre 98 trunklid with newer Contour Sport spoiler instead of lip spoiler, newer Contour sport rims. Newer paint job. Brand new floor mats. Rust Free! PM me for details and pics.
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by RawBurt:
All you need is one bolt in and your golden.

hmmmmm............. .......well its in now, lol.

99' silver smokin' csvt born on march 18 99' #1491 of 2760 burninrice no more
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! After pressing the bushings in and a bit of lube (thanks for the suggestions guys), I got the 2 long bolts in almost tight but the little one is outside of the hole by about 1/8". I struggled with it with pry bar, wood block + hammer, yanking, for a couple of hours, finally decided to unbolt everything and start over and see if I kept everything loose it would work. Well it got dark and I'm in worse shape than before. The hole for the small screw is completely outside the black bracket!

Cash offer still stands. Although I gained tons of experience tonight, I'm no closer to the finish line. Okay, maybe a little closer, but still no cigar...

Moderated by  WorldTour_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard