Next Thread
Print Thread
#1633882 08/22/06 10:18 AM
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
I followed Ray's alternator FAQ and got the darn thing out after a couple of hours (thanks Ray!) I pryed the alternator out of its bracket, but one thing I'm not sure of is whether I have to disconnect the wiring from underneath while the alternator is still loose in the engine compartment or is there enough slack to turn the wires around so I can work at it from the wheel well. Because even though it's loose, there's still interference preventing me from seeing clearly and easily getting the wires off. Thanks.
Andy

Andy 96 Contour V6 101000 miles
#1633883 08/22/06 01:59 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
YOu can disconnect the wires with the alternator in the bracket, or out... It doesn't matter. If you read the how to it will give you a good idea on how to disconnect the wires... I really don't know what to say, its the easiest part of the whole process.

#1633884 08/22/06 02:38 PM
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by RawBurt:
YOu can disconnect the wires with the alternator in the bracket, or out... It doesn't matter. If you read the how to it will give you a good idea on how to disconnect the wires... I really don't know what to say, its the easiest part of the whole process.

The how-to says to remove wires at the end, after you pop the alternator out of the bracket. It was getting dark when I got to that point, so I couldn't see very well. It would be easier if I could turn it around and have the wires face out towards the wheel well. I'll give it a go today in better light.

#1633885 08/22/06 04:11 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by andy:
It would be easier if I could turn it around and have the wires face out towards the wheel well. I'll give it a go today in better light.

It sure would, but the wires do not have much slack in them. And I would not want to be putting stress on them in fear of cracking, breaking or whatever.

#1633886 08/23/06 03:27 PM
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by RawBurt:
Originally posted by andy:
It would be easier if I could turn it around and have the wires face out towards the wheel well. I'll give it a go today in better light.

It sure would, but the wires do not have much slack in them. And I would not want to be putting stress on them in fear of cracking, breaking or whatever.

It does! Turns out the alternator can be almost completely turned to face out, or at least with the pulley facing the read of the car, to get a good hold on that 10mm bolt, the wire clip and the plastic clip. The plug harness has lots of slack. The stiff welder gage wire has enough slack, but is harder to maneuver, obviously. So for future potential DIY reference, once you get the alt off the brackets, work at it to get it such that you can work from the wheel well. Same goes for putting it back, although I suspect it's easier to install the alt back in the bracket w/o the big wire fighting you.

Seems my new Carquest Premium reman alternator has a squeak rotating the pulley clockwise, but quiet CCW. Should I take it back? I don't know which way the belt rotates or if the squeak will go away after it breaks in a little.

Link Copied to Clipboard