Next Thread
Print Thread
#1633685 08/22/06 12:03 AM
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
'95 Mystique, 2.5L ATX. Tranny fluid changed 9 months ago. Idle speed when warm at 600 RPM. Cold goes to 1600 RPM and then settles down to 800, slowly going down to 600. No CEL light. Only time the CEL light came on was when a vacuum hose cracked and once I replaced it, the light went out and stayed out.

For a while, I have been having problems with the transmission where I would shift from Park to Drive and the engine would BANG into gear. It got so bad that it actually broke the front roll resistor clean off the transmission bellhousing and has ruined the insert for the rear resistor (new one on order and will have to weld a new mount on the bellhousing). When I slow down and the RPMs get to about 1100, I felt a sudden shift down from overdrive to 3rd. When I was taking off from a standing start, the car would vibrate and there would be that whiplash-producing bang from 1st to 2nd. When it shifted to 3rd, it would hesitate for a split second and then finally go into 3rd. Overdrive upshifted smoothly. When stopped in gear (such as a stoplight) I could feel a slight vibration as if the engine was slightly missing at 600 RPM.

After searching thru the forums, I came across the 1-2 bang shift fix and went ahead and installed a new TSS (God that was a nightmare removing the old one!).

After I installed the new TSS, the transmission shifted like a dream. Drove it for about 50 KMs in stop and go city traffic and not a single problem. Was as smooth as if brand new. No more vibration, no bang shift, just smooth as silk. Came home and parked the car and in the morning after warming up for a minute as I usually do, I shifted into drive and got the bang again. 1-2 BANG was back and all the above symptoms were back again.

Did the new TSS go bad (it was the newer modified one) after only 50 kms or did I forget something? I DO know I did not unhook the battery before I swapped sensors, but I don't see how that would make a difference?

Searched for a few hours on here but could not find anything describing my entire set of problems. Anyone have any idea?

This is frustrating me and I am worried about replacing the inserts in case the banging ruins the new ones.

#1633686 08/22/06 04:27 AM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by billygee:
..Did the new TSS go bad (it was the newer modified one) after only 50 kms or did I forget something? I DO know I did not unhook the battery before I swapped sensors, but I don't see how that would make a difference?

Check if the TSS electrical connector is broken or dirty or wiring is frayed. Per Ford CD, you do not have to disconnect battery when changing the TSS.

Check engine/tranny mounts.

Check Manual lever position sensor and cable.
MLPS change

Cable below tranny shift lever

And from Autozone

Last edited by Tony2005; 08/22/06 04:31 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
#1633687 08/23/06 12:25 AM
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Quote:

Check if the TSS electrical connector is broken or dirty or wiring is frayed. Per Ford CD, you do not have to disconnect battery when changing the TSS.

Wiring seems fine, though hanging loose. I will have to get the car up in the air to trace the wires up to thier source, but I don't see any fraying or breaks. Connector seems fine as well. Plugged in tight and not broken.

However, I now have some tranny fluid leakage around the new TSS. Not much but enough to bother me. TSS bolt is tight but not over-tight.

Quote:

Check engine/tranny mounts.

As noted in my OP, the front and rear roll resistor inserts are toast. I am waiting on new inserts. I don't see whhat they have to do with the P-D and 1-2 BANG shift though. It was the bang shift that broke the front roll resistor. Also all vibration and shuddering disappeared after I put the new TSS in and came back along with the banging into gear after approximately 50 kms, which made me wonder if I got one that went defective.

Quote:

Check Manual lever position sensor and cable.

MLPS seems fine. Tranny doesn't hunt around for the right gear when driving and positions are right on.

Quote:

Cable below tranny shift lever

Cable is fine. Lever moves smoothly and freely as normal.

#1633688 08/23/06 12:34 AM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by billygee:
..As noted in my OP, the front and rear roll resistor inserts are toast. I am waiting on new inserts. I don't see whhat they have to do with the P-D and 1-2 BANG shift though. It was the bang shift that broke the front roll resistor. Also all vibration and shuddering disappeared after I put the new TSS in and came back along with the banging into gear after approximately 50 kms, which made me wonder if I got one that went defective.

Maybe you did get a bad TSS. However, bad engine/tranny mounts can cause perceived tranny issues. Should the tranny engage and then the mounts bang against the engine/tranny, it could have a perceived tranny problem. Do fix the roll resistors first and see if it helps.

"One of the first rules of troubleshooting is that you fix what you know is wrong and the re-evaluate." Big Jim.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard