Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1633417 08/21/06 01:42 PM
A
afroman Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
Anybody know where I should start looking or if this is a problem you have hear of?
I have a 1998 contour LX,V6,Auto. When I was driving the other day the spedometer stopped working and at the same time the gas light with the arrow (I think this is the gas cap indicator) come on. That time it started wirking again about ten seconds later the light came on again and the spedo started to work. yesterday the same thing happened only the spedo quit untill this morning it started back up on the way to work but then quit about a minuite latter. everytime it stops or starts the gas light will come on for a few seconds.
other wise car drives fine. crazy problem whats with the light? Is this a wireing problem and are the two linked somehow?

Thanks

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
How many kms on the car? How many kms on the battery and how many kms on the alternator?

Test the battery and alternator first.

Charge the battery well and then test battery and alternator. Your symptoms could be a weak or dying battery (probably due to a bad alternator).

Battery test. Engine off, headlights on for one minute. Voltage across battery terminals should be 12 to 12.5.

Alternator test. Engine running, voltage across battery terminals should be 14 to 14.5.

Last edited by Tony2005; 08/21/06 01:56 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
A
afroman Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
144000 miles on the car and I think my battery needs to be replaced (said walmart when they tested it durring my oil change but it starts good so I figured they were trying to rip me off)but I will try thoes tests tonight thanks. I never would have thought a week battery would have this effect.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Bad battery (and/or alternator) does weird things to the car's electrical components.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
If your electrical is in shape, the next cause could be the VSS. Have your car scanned for codes.

A
afroman Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
what is the VSS? My check engin light comes on now and then but every time I checked it it was a low flow in the EGR valve.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Bad battery (and/or alternator) does weird things to the car's electrical components.

What he said!

I witness this weird behavior 3 weeks ago. My speedometer needle was pointing all over the places. Then my ABS acted up twice. Then PATS prevented my from starting the car. I thought it was VSS (vehicle speed sensor) for the speedo problem but after I disconnected the negative of the battery and reconnected it, all weird behavior was gone and cannot be repeated. Now I have another happy 500 miles without problem.

The battery was actually the last place I would have checked because it was just replaced with an Exide brand some 1500 miles ago. All other electrical parts, like lamp, audio, windows, every thing worked great. The car also started right up within just one turn. But I am confident to say it was all caused by the battery, or by the improper connection to the battery.

98 Silver Frost E0 SVT. 1011/6535. DOB 05/16/97 Owned since new. Optimized y-pipe. Bosal Exhaust w/ silencer inserts. K&N intake w/ MAF. Ford Racing 9mm wires. 05 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey. Cobbs Accessport Stage 2.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by afroman:
what is the VSS? My check engin light comes on now and then but every time I checked it it was a low flow in the EGR valve.

VSS = Vehicle speed sensor.

Get the CEL code(s) scanned at Mr. Transmission (free service). Call to confirm. And then post the exact code(s) here.

A
afroman Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
ok I replaced my battery today and cleaned connections to terninals including the metal multiconnector things. Now reads 12.4 V after 1 min of lights and alternator puts out 14.5-14.5 volts with the car running.

Still no spedo/odometer and I noticed the gas gauge does not change untill the spedo starts working again. However on the way back from replacing the battery it didn't work at first then it worked for about a mile then quit on me again. The check engin light is not on but I will scan for codes tomorrow.

Does this sound like the VSS? Of course it could not be as easy as a battery for me.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by afroman:
....Still no spedo/odometer and I noticed the gas gauge does not change untill the spedo starts working again. However on the way back from replacing the battery it didn't work at first then it worked for about a mile then quit on me again...

Check connector behind instrument panel. Make sure it is plugged in well.
Instrument Panel R and R

In addition, it could be the VSS or VSS connector.
VSS thread

Last edited by Tony2005; 08/23/06 02:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard