Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Y
Y2KSVT Offline OP
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
After 6 years of ownership, I'm finally going to replace my interior speakers. The right rear speaker sounds as if it's on it's last legs. Obviously, I'm not a huge audio junky, or these speakers wouldn't have lasted a week from me rolling it off the Ford lot. I've searched on here, and a few other places online. Just wanting to see what everyone is running, and if they were a drop-in type speaker. Right now, I'm looking at going with some Alpine Type S, or maybe the Type R's if I can find a good deal on them.

I'd prefer not to have to amplify them. I'm running an Alpine deck, which I'm not sure of the model#, or the wattage, but it's about a year old. The stock amplifier has been bypassed. I should probably mention that I have a 10" sub in the rear deck that will also be hooked up, and want something that I'll be able to hear, even with a little bass.

So would either the Type-S or Type-R be a good drop in replacement? I don't really need 100% top of the line here, so $200+ a pair speakers are out of the question. TIA!!

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
I've heard some Infinity's in a Focus and it sounded great. Wish I would have gone with those instead of Pioneer. They sound like crap. I know he got a deal on Ebay for them. Not too pricey.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I've been running Polk Audio Momo 5X7's for a while now and have been really happy with them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/POLK-AUDIO-MOMO-MMC570-5X7-6X8-COAXIAL-SPEAKERS-NEW-PR_W0QQitemZ270018802524QQihZ017QQcategoryZ14940QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Vinny 2000 T-RED CSVT MODS: 18" REV model 2 ST200 struts/Roush springs CTA intake Pipe/K&N Filter Dtec Heatshield Optimized TB True Duals w/ magnaflow mufflers/resonators
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
You could always make some adapter plates out of 1/2" mdf and run 6.5's. That would open your options up a little more.

Look for speakers with a higher db rating, they will be more efficient with H/U power and be a little louder since you don't want to run an amp. Worry more about the speakers in the front then in the rear since the rear will mostly be just fill. Hell, just replace the front speakers first and disconnect the rears and see if you like it that way.

Best thing to do is go out to your local stores and listen to everything. It won't be optimum listening environments but it will be better then nothing. Also why you are at the stores listening, take a look around for open box and clearence speakers. I have gotten some pretty good deals that way.

Slow Vehicles in Training 01' Lightning 99' SVTC
Y
Y2KSVT Offline OP
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by captainoblivious:
You could always make some adapter plates out of 1/2" mdf and run 6.5's. That would open your options up a little more.

Look for speakers with a higher db rating, they will be more efficient with H/U power and be a little louder since you don't want to run an amp. Worry more about the speakers in the front then in the rear since the rear will mostly be just fill. Hell, just replace the front speakers first and disconnect the rears and see if you like it that way.

Best thing to do is go out to your local stores and listen to everything. It won't be optimum listening environments but it will be better then nothing. Also why you are at the stores listening, take a look around for open box and clearence speakers. I have gotten some pretty good deals that way.

Since drop-ins are available, I think I'm going to stick with them, just for ease of install.

I'm not against running an amp, but I figure running them off of my Alpine H/U will be sufficient. I'd just like it a hair louder than what I can go now, with some better clarity/sound.

The reason I'm actually looking for upgrades, is because one of my rear speakers is going out. Starts to distort, even at not-so-high volumes. I figure I'll just do all 4.

I was at Best Buy the other day with a buddy of mine, and thought I'd see what they had. All they had were some Alpine 2-ways for around $110/pair, and some Pioneer 3-ways for $81/pair. The Pioneers sounded better I thought, but I just hate Pioneer.

Oh, I love open item! If it weren't for open item stuff, I probably wouldn't buy anything!

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
i have 2 set of pioneer TS-A6871R since 1 month and i was satisfied with it but this huge demo price staff purchase came out at work so im going with 2 set of infinity kappa 6X8

PM me if you're interested

1998.5 Toreador Red/Midnight Blue Contour SVT - #5912/6535 - DOB - 05/11/1998 - RU-3530/CTA Intake Pipe MSDS Heaser/Y-Pipe Magnaflow #10435 9mm Ford racing SPEC Stage one/Spec Alum. Flywheel HERE
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

I'm not against running an amp, but I figure running them off of my Alpine H/U will be sufficient. I'd just like it a hair louder than what I can go now, with some better clarity/sound.

... I figure I'll just do all 4.

Like I said, look for a higher db rating on the speakers. The higher the number the louder the speaker will be with the same wattage.

Also, just try changing the fronts first and disconnect the rear speakers to see how you like it. You may be pleasantly surpised that having no rear speakers sounds better. If you are not happy, move your working front (stock) speakers to the rear and test that out, if you like it better then go buy better for the rear.

Slow Vehicles in Training 01' Lightning 99' SVTC
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Mark from what I remember the last time I was in your car, you will be more than happy with the Pioneers. I have the same ones, and am running them with an Audiobahn powered sub in the trunk. The Pioneers don't distort at all and sound just fine clarity-wise with the sub. Considering what I remember in your car was the stock door speakers without the amp and no sub. Yeah you were rockin' back then. Don't worry about getting anything too fancy.

99 Black SVT -3L Hybrid w/.5mm overbore, Spec clutch/flywheel, MSDS, BAT intake, K&N open, 17'Konig Tantrums, DMD, Opt. TB & Y, Powerslots, Bassani w/ magnaflow res. 96 SE MTX- "The War Wagon" "I'm in love with my car..." -Queen
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
My vote is on the alpine type S. I've heard type R's not amped and they dont sound too good.

Type S's are very cheap anyway Just get some of those.

I
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I
i have some type r or s 6x9's i'd sell pretty cheap i'll have to look and see which they are. you would have to do a lil modification i think but just a thought

1998 CSVT #844 Born May 9,1997 Silver n Blue B&M Short throw shifter Eibach springs 4 Memphis PR 12" www.cardomain.com/ride/2273778
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard