Print Thread
#1633363 08/21/06 08:33 AM
H
Harrry Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
I need help finding a lawyer to call for making a will.

What type of lawyer do i need to look for.

Just never thought about finding one, till i heard worse news from my doctor.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
#1633364 08/21/06 09:05 AM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
said a prayer for you man and your family. hope everything goes well for you and your family and god bless you.

1999 Ford Contour SE Zetec with 137k miles. AIM Name: ContourAlf Yahoo IM: Contour_Freak
#1633365 08/21/06 09:21 AM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Sorry for the bad news. Prayers for you. In the meantime, contact an estate attourney. Where are you located? My wife's best friend is one...if you are in MO/KS, she could probably help.

2000 Silver Frost SVT # 1637/2150 D.O.B. 01/14/2000
#1633366 08/21/06 07:32 PM
H
Harrry Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
I am in michigan.

So an estate attorney is what i am looking for!!

Thanks for the support guys.

Sorry but that lawyer is kinda too far for me. I appreciate the help though. I guess i will try to find someone around here.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
#1633367 08/22/06 12:11 AM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
go to google.com amd search for an estate atterny in your area or go to yellow pages.com

1999 Ford Contour SE Zetec with 137k miles. AIM Name: ContourAlf Yahoo IM: Contour_Freak
#1633368 08/22/06 04:31 AM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Find out if there is a local COUNTY Bar Association where you live. Call that outfit and ask for referrals to attorneys who do estate planning, wills and probates. With luck, instead of being snagged by the guy with the coolest web site or the great yellow page ad, you can pick from a couple well respected attorneys INSTEAD OF Joe the marketing genius who needed six tries to pass the Michigan Bar exam.

Call up the offices you hear about. Along with asking about wills, you might also ask them about Michigan's intestate succession laws, which dictate which family members get what if you pass without a will. (No, state laws do NOT say everything just goes to the state when you die without a will.) THEN ask about their quotes to draft a "simple will" AND their quotes to draft a will with a pour-over trust, and their quotes to finish up a "directive to physicians/living will" which typically say who makes medical decisions for you if you are in no shape to call your own shots. (That would have avoided most of the mess in the Terry Schaivo situation not too long ago.)

You might also find out if your local legal community has a legal aid office which works cheap and is often populated by pro bono do-gooders. I've recently done wills for people with terminal cancer for free, and you might luck into someone who's not out to make a buck off of you while you deal with whatever your issues are. Legal aid offices might not be able to help you directly, but they're a good source of referrals to capable people who are likely sympathetic to your situation.

But the guys with the glitzy websites and fancy yellow page ads...? How do you think they pay for their pricey ad media? Not by doing pro bono work.

I'm not licensed to practice in Michigan, but I may have some nice guy old law school classmates who are, if you can stand an Illini. PM me if you have questions or comments and give me an idea where you are in Michigan.

MSDS, SHO-shop Y, custom 2.5" catback; xcal2; 63mm TB, K&N 3530; Koni struts, Aussie bar; THaines forks, Quaife, SpecII, UR fly; DMD; Nima UD pullies; Stazi brakes; f&r Pole120 mounts. Just a daily commuter car. Silver '98 SVT E0 #3159

Link Copied to Clipboard