Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CLASSVT Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Real quick. Just got my car back from the shop having the shortblock rebuilt and, while they were at it, installing my spec flywheel. Now it is very difficult to get the car into reverse. There is no grinding or anything, it just doesn't seem to want to go there. With a little luck it eventually goes in like it should've two minutes ago. There are no troubles with any other gears, and there was no trouble before having it in the shop. I plan on taking it back in there tomorrow, to have them fix it. But I am curious as to any of your opinions. Thanks in advance.

99 Black SVT -3L Hybrid w/.5mm overbore, Spec clutch/flywheel, MSDS, BAT intake, K&N open, 17'Konig Tantrums, DMD, Opt. TB & Y, Powerslots, Bassani w/ magnaflow res. 96 SE MTX- "The War Wagon" "I'm in love with my car..." -Queen
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
What tranny fluid did they put in? What is the idle speed on start up?

As a temporary measure, try putting it in 4th or 5th gear while the car is stationary before putting it in Reverse (to slow the engine RPM). That should get you on your way.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
C
CLASSVT Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
I'm not sure what brand of tranny fluid they used. Could that make a significant difference? Idle speed at startup is about 2500 RPM (cold) and 600-700 RPM (warm). I have been having codes for the O2 sensor again, causing the rpm to drop too quickly btwn gears and sometimes stall at idle. But that I will soon fix myself, and assume that is unrelated to this issue. When having this issue, the rpm is not elevated at all. Should I have the tranny fluid drained and refilled with a proper brand? Thanks.

99 Black SVT -3L Hybrid w/.5mm overbore, Spec clutch/flywheel, MSDS, BAT intake, K&N open, 17'Konig Tantrums, DMD, Opt. TB & Y, Powerslots, Bassani w/ magnaflow res. 96 SE MTX- "The War Wagon" "I'm in love with my car..." -Queen
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
"I'm not sure what brand of tranny fluid they used. Could that make a significant difference?"
There was a big discussion recently on this. But basically, Mercon is not acceptable anymore.

"Idle speed at startup is about 2500 RPM (cold)"
It would be hard to get in 1st or Reverse with such a high RPM.

"I have been having codes for the O2 sensor again, causing the rpm to drop too quickly btwn gears and sometimes stall at idle. But that I will soon fix myself, and assume that is unrelated to this issue."
This needs to be taken care of. It could be related.

"Should I have the tranny fluid drained and refilled with a proper brand?"
Can't hurt.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
C
CLASSVT Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
The RPM is only at that high mark right after a cold start-up, and doesn't rest at that RPM for more than five seconds before it begins to drop. (It's probably a lot closer to 1500 or 2000 than 2500) Basically what I was saying is that first start-up in the morning the rpm sit high for about five seconds and then begin to drop. It's not like as soon as I start the car I'm trying to jam it into reverse before the RPM begin to drop. Also, I had these same codes before I took the car into the shop for the rebuild, and had no trouble with reverse. That's why I'm pretty sure it's unrelated. Plus it strikes me as odd that an O2 sensor could keep me from getting into reverse. I will have them drain and refill the fluid with brand recommended from this site.

Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Ryan,
Does it crunch at all, going into reverse? Does the shifter feel spungy when trying to go into reverse? I would think shift cables, but you'd probably have a problem in all of your down gears(2,4,R). Maybe the reverse lockout was messed with? Are you still using the stock shifter?

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
C
CLASSVT Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
No crunching or grinding or anything like that. No trouble with any other gears. It is still the stock shifter, and it's not spongey at all. It just seems to hit a wall going into reverse. At random times yesterday it went in on the first try. Not sure if it's "getting better" or if it was just luck, but the problem definately continues. It still takes more than a few tries to get it into reverse.

Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Maybe post this in the transmission forum. Todd should have a quote from Terry within minutes.

Sounds to me like something internal, since I doubt they removed your shifter, and your 2&4 gears go in fine.

Mark

C
CLASSVT Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Maybe a cable? It would most likely be internal, as in the shifter, not as in the tranny itself....right?

Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by CLASSVT:
Maybe a cable? It would most likely be internal, as in the shifter, not as in the tranny itself....right?

By internal, I mean inside of the transmission. The shifter assembly is so basic, that it's almost hard to mess that up, especially with the stock shifter. There are 2 cables, one which moves the selector up and down into gears, and another that moves back and forth. If your cables needed adjusting, you would have a hard time going into either 2,4 & R, or 1,3 & 5. I wouldn't think you'd have problems with just one gear(Reverse) alone.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard