Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
EXACTLY my point , Sigma !

Now , if you're using a "dogbone" , then the torque reading WILL change .

~~~~~~~ Phil Black & Tan 2000 SVT Contour #2137 of 2150 35,000 miles & counting !
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
The longer handle just reduces the amount of force you have to apply to reach a given torque setting. The longer handle gives you more leverage, allowing you to do the same amount of work with less effort.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by sigma:
Originally posted by Coolkuehl3:
Originally posted by Buddy Palumbo:
The torque at the head of the wrench , is the torque at the head of the wrench whether the handle is 6 inches or 60 inches .

I have to disagree with you on this thought. The formula for torque is T = F x L. T = Torque, F = Force, L = Length. The length is the distance from the center of the socket to the end or grip of the handle. Therefore solving for T and leaving everything the same but changing L will give you different answers.

Example 1. F = 15, L = 16
T = 15*16
T = 240

Example 2. F = 15, L = 8
T = 15*8
T = 120

Example 3. F = 15, L = 24
T = 15*24
T = 360

Yes, but that's not how a torque wrench works. The torque wrench stops torquing whenever the torque exerted at the head exceeds whatever is dialed in. Put a 10' extension on it if you want, it will still stop at the same torque spec, it'll just be really easy for you to exert that force.

I stand corrected. But if you extend the length from the pivot point, will it change the torque? That is what the manual refers to in recalulating.

I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
If you were to apply the same amount of force to the long handle that you did to the short handle, and if there were no mechanism in the head of the wrench to regulate that torque, then yes, you would have more torque applied at the head. Just remember that that equasion is probably assuming a simple pivot point and lever, not a torque wrench with its regulating internals.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
If you were to apply the same amount of force to the long handle that you did to the short handle, and if there were no mechanism in the head of the wrench to regulate that torque, then yes, you would have more torque applied at the head. Just remember that that equasion is probably assuming a simple pivot point and lever, not a torque wrench with its regulating internals.

bingo. That's the answer right there folks! If it was a wrench extended, then applied torque would be greater as proportional to length of extension and also the direction of applied torque. CCW=+, CW=- torque. Keep in mind also that if your line of action is perpendicular to your pivot, then you apply zero torque, just force. That has nothing to do with this, but it's nice to flex our brain muscles on the internet to increase our net-egos from time to time!

99 Black Contour SE Sport
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Er... what exactly is a "dogbone"? A regular crescent (box)wrench?

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Um, guys, if I'm reading the original post correctly, he wasn't talking about extending the length of the handle, but about adding a standard extension between the torque wrench and the socket.

In this case, yes, you will lose some small amount of the applied torque, because some of the torque will go into the twisting of the extension, because it will basically act like a torsion spring. The general rule of thumb I've always followed is keep the distance from the tq wrench to the fastener as short as possible, and when you must use an extension, raise your applied torque a little bit; usually I'll lean toward the higher end of the spec of whatever I'm tightening when that is the case.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Rara:
Um, guys, if I'm reading the original post correctly, he wasn't talking about extending the length of the handle, but about adding a standard extension between the torque wrench and the socket.

LOL. I missed that too when I read it. Thanks for opening my eyes.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T

equa t ion.
Do I win a prize?
Tx

No offence, but couldn't resist....
Or for our US brethren, No offense.

Last edited by timstour; 08/21/06 04:44 PM.
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by timstour:

equa t ion.
Do I win a prize?
Tx

No offence, but couldn't resist....

Meh...It was late, I was tired, and it's hard being perfect 100% of the time. I think 99.9% perfect is good enough for me!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard