Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Does using a 3 inch extension on a torque wrench have any bearing on the amount of torque applied? This is your standard 3" extension attached to the socket at a right angle to the wrench, it is not extending the overall length of the wrench. The manual for the wrench (Craftsman) gives a formula to recalibrate the wrench when using extensions, but it looks like they are just adding length (L) to the wrench, which I know will change the torque. T = F x L

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
i don't believe so since as you stated the torque applied is from the length of the wrench not how far it is from the pivot point

but what can be an issue is if you don't keep the entension straight when you torque the bolt down

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
It has an effect/affect, but with a 3" extension you are talking a minimal one at best. If you are talking about lug nuts, I wouldn't worry TOO much, but if we are talking about rod bolts well then I would def use the conversion table.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Yah, when they mean distance they mean length from the pivot point to the end of the handle. An extension going down onto the lug nut shouldnt make eny differance b/c that length does matter. Although the force woulod go up a little bit because there is more mass.

In reality it shouldnt matter.

Dan

Dan 2000 Mercury Mystique Tidal Wave Blue 17" Maxxim Ahead Gold Rims ED Molded Bodykit http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2384075
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
yeah, as stated that calc. is for adding length to the handle.

the only real effect you would notice with a socket extension on the wrench would be under large loads where the extension itself would twist axially.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Thanks to everyone who replied. All of you make good points about adding an extension to a torque wrench. I didn't think there was much to worry about since I wasn't adding length. I just wasn't able to find any conversion calulators for my application. If it was critical, I would guess using a deep well socket would make a difference.

And yes, I was just torquing lug nuts. Call me anal.

I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by Coolkuehl3:
Thanks to everyone who replied. All of you make good points about adding an extension to a torque wrench. I didn't think there was much to worry about since I wasn't adding length. I just wasn't able to find any conversion calulators for my application. If it was critical, I would guess using a deep well socket would make a difference.

And yes, I was just torquing lug nuts. Call me anal.

You're anal!

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Maybe I'm mis-reading these posts , but IIRC , adding length to the HANDLE of a torque wrench will NOT make any difference to the torque readings the wrench gives you , it will just add leverage & make it easier on your arms to reach the desired torque . The torque at the head of the wrench , is the torque at the head of the wrench whether the handle is 6 inches or 60 inches . Adding an extension to your socket , however , WILL change the torque reading . A 3" extension will not change the reading much at all , but a long extension will change it much more .

~~~~~~~ Phil Black & Tan 2000 SVT Contour #2137 of 2150 35,000 miles & counting !
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Buddy Palumbo:
The torque at the head of the wrench , is the torque at the head of the wrench whether the handle is 6 inches or 60 inches .

I have to disagree with you on this thought. The formula for torque is T = F x L. T = Torque, F = Force, L = Length. The length is the distance from the center of the socket to the end or grip of the handle. Therefore solving for T and leaving everything the same but changing L will give you different answers.

Example 1. F = 15, L = 16
T = 15*16
T = 240

Example 2. F = 15, L = 8
T = 15*8
T = 120

Example 3. F = 15, L = 24
T = 15*24
T = 360

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Coolkuehl3:
Originally posted by Buddy Palumbo:
The torque at the head of the wrench , is the torque at the head of the wrench whether the handle is 6 inches or 60 inches .

I have to disagree with you on this thought. The formula for torque is T = F x L. T = Torque, F = Force, L = Length. The length is the distance from the center of the socket to the end or grip of the handle. Therefore solving for T and leaving everything the same but changing L will give you different answers.

Example 1. F = 15, L = 16
T = 15*16
T = 240

Example 2. F = 15, L = 8
T = 15*8
T = 120

Example 3. F = 15, L = 24
T = 15*24
T = 360

Yes, but that's not how a torque wrench works. The torque wrench stops torquing whenever the torque exerted at the head exceeds whatever is dialed in. Put a 10' extension on it if you want, it will still stop at the same torque spec, it'll just be really easy for you to exert that force.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard