Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
This is the data sheet for the epoxy i used on the lense:

http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/HYSAE-120HP-EN.PDF

Can't find data sheets for the stuff i used on the back, it was made by permatex, no longer made i believe. It was this awesome putty epoxy, used it on the headlamps and the clear tails i made. One of the listed substrates was ABS, but through testing i found that it had a good bond between ABS and magnesium (hella housing is made of magnesium).

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
hey amar, I noticed your before and after pics of the projector being in there, and noticed how well rough it looked when you cut up the housing. Now my question is, when you put the projector lens in, how did you get what appears to be bolts in there to secure them? Did you custom fabricate a bracket out of steel or something? Also do the hellas not require an HID kit with ballast and all that? Sorry to ask that because I know the Hellas come with H9s already and how would those be wired exactly?

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by m4gician:
hey amar, I noticed your before and after pics of the projector being in there, and noticed how well rough it looked when you cut up the housing. Now my question is, when you put the projector lens in, how did you get what appears to be bolts in there to secure them? Did you custom fabricate a bracket out of steel or something?

The screws that you see there hold the back of the projector housing to the front cover(of the projector)....they dont attach the projector to the headlight housing. What i did was grind away at the headlight housing and the projector housing little by little until it was a tight fit...then i went out and perfected the aim...luckily it was fairly good to begin with...then finally i scuffed up all the plastic surfaces and used the putty epoxy that i mentioned earlier. It worked very well. So i guess to sum it up...the projector was first secured to the lamp by friction...then i sealed it up and attached "permanently" with epoxy putty.

Originally posted by m4gician:
Also do the hellas not require an HID kit with ballast and all that? Sorry to ask that because I know the Hellas come with H9s already and how would those be wired exactly?

The H9 is an incandescent lamp...same as what your car has right now...the only difference is that these are slightly higher wattage (65 watts) than the stockers...but it should be fine to use original wiring...all you have to do is figure out a way to work out the connector difference...you can either chop off the stock connector and put a H9 connector in its place or make a small harness that has 9006 on one end and H9 on the other. The second way makes it easier to return ot stock if needed.

So anyway...no, no ignitor or ballast or hid capsule...

Are you using used lamps to do the retrofit or new lamps?

That's the one thing i regret...i wish i would've done the retrofit on new lamps...the retrofit itself turned out great imo, looks good and the performance of the projectors is very good, but still its a pita to keep waxing the lenses every month and you can see the development of all these little internal cracks in the lense from 8 years of use....wish i would've bought new lamps...live and learn i guess.

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
used lamps, though I found some ones at the yard that have 'potential' to be wet sanded and polished to better than the ones I have. Well I'll get me a 5000k HID kit to wire to them.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by amarv12:
..Whatever, I like how it looks.

Said it before and I'll say it again.
It looks good.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er