F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=116471#2

Originally posted by Edmunds:
More ponies
To date, the top engine in the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr was the 3.0-liter V6 Duratec engine. While a capable workhorse, this mill is not known for its refinement. When you push it hard, the feeling is coarse. And its 221-horsepower output is adequate, but falls short of the current three-plus-liter V6 engines that power its competitors.

In the transition from Zephyr to MKZ, the 3.5-liter replaces the Duratec. This change brings an additional 42 horses and 44 pound-feet of torque, yielding totals of 263 hp at 6250 rpm and 249 lb-ft at 4500 rpm. Stab the accelerator and the 20-percent power gain makes itself known. Thrust comes on smoothly, and builds intensely as the tachometer swings past 4000. Unlike the Duratec, the 3.5-liter likes to rev. There's no harshness. No thrash. No clatter. Just plenty of power and a purposeful growl that is loud enough to add some aural thrill to the acceleration, but not so loud that it detracts from the MKZ's luxurious intentions.

The new engine
The improvement this engine represents is significant. "The 3.5 is a foundational engine for us," says Tom McCarthy, managing engineer on the project. "We wanted this to be a great starting point that still had great potential going forward." McCarthy's team focused on three key areas of development for the engine: structure, combustion process and airflow.

Here's a quick lesson on engine development (stay with me): Having a solid structure helps an engine be quieter, smoother and more reliable. An advanced understanding of combustion affects everything from idle smoothness to power to emissions. Airflow is important because engines must move air efficiently to make power efficiently.

Features of Ford's new 3.5-liter include an aluminum block that shows considerable evidence of structural ribbing, a forged-steel crankshaft, and four-valve combustion chambers with a compression ratio of 10.3:1. Curiously, McCarthy is quick to point out technologies not on his engine. "To meet our performance goals, we didn't need to employ 'add-on' technologies like variable exhaust-valve timing, manifold swirl valves or active management (of the intake system)." By pointing this out, the Ford engineer takes a gloved swipe at competitive engines that utilize such features to match his engine's output. His comment also hints that much more "power density" (his engineeringspeak) resides within the compact dimensions of the 3.5-liter â?? no larger than the existing Duratec V6.

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
I just found a "dee de dee" on edmonds part... they kept refering to the 3.0L as "The duratec" where they made it seem like the new 3.5 is not a duratec... But it is..

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
The Duratec doesn't like to rev? News to me.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
The Duratec doesn't like to rev? News to me.

yeah thats another thing... ive driven numerious Duratec equiped cars... from what ive noticed the motor loves to rev... Smooth throughout the power band, and my grin only widens as I get closer to redline.... Go out and take a Mazda 6s for a test drive... Those things LOVE to rev... Oh man, I wounder if they will put the duratec35 in the mazda 6s... I think that will give the MS6 a run for its money...

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Quote:

Oh man, I wounder if they will put the duratec35 in the mazda 6s... I think that will give the MS6 a run for its money...

They are. It will debut in the 2008 Mazda6 along with AWD coupled to the Duratec35. But the car is going to be wider, longer, and softer than the Mazda6 is now. So, while it might be faster, it'll lose a lot of other things going for it right now. The MS6 will go on hiatus for the 2008MY and might be back in the 2009MY, but my money is on 2010MY at the earliest.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
maybe the guy is confusing the Vulcan v6??? I've driven my father's taurus with the 3L and the only "chatter" I hear is the freakin heat shield that loose underneath. Sounds like the writer is just a freakin idiot to me...

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood

Link Copied to Clipboard