Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1632369 08/18/06 04:11 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I tried to search to see if this has been covered and couldn't find anything.

I just wanted to let you all know the success I had in cleaning 7 years worth of dirt out of the engine bay of my recently purchased 98 Contour (auto/4 cyl).

with medium pressure i rinsed the entire engine bay and then soaked everything with 409 heavy-duty degreaser. i let it sit for 10 minutes and then hit everything again with 409. after another 5 minutes, i hosed everything off.

the engine bay was starting to show new life. i rinsed the engine bay for approx 10 minutes to make sure i got all the degreaser off.

after the rinse i let it set with the hood open and air dry. 30 minutes later i applied foaming tire cleaner (the kind that comes in an aerosol can) to the entire engine bay, with special attention to all the black plastic/rubber pieces. 5 minutes later i hit everything again with tire cleaner and then let it sit again for another 10 minutes.

after all that the engine bay looked brand new. 8 years later, you could not tell a difference. i showed it to the guy i bought it from and he was simply amazed.

i don't have any pictures right now, but i can try to get some if i remember.

just be careful not to spray too hard around the coil pack and spark plug boots and to let every thing dry before starting the car up!

~adam

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Too much risk with all the wires and electronics. I would just wipe. Takes longer but you won't have to worry about shorting out something.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Good stuff, glad to hear it worked out

A few tips though

Plastic bags around the coil pack, IMRC and open element filter are cheap insurance.

Also, you'll probably find that the tire foam will attract dirt after a little while. Next time use WD40 (a full can) it'll look just as good and won't get dirty.

CSVT Feels Like Heaven Goes Like Hell Profile
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Too much risk with all the wires and electronics. I would just wipe. Takes longer but you won't have to worry about shorting out something.

Dis-regard the above.

Go buy this --- >

And then just take your garden hose with an attachement and lightly rinse it off.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
Originally posted by Tony2005:

Dis-regard the above.

Go buy this --- >

And then just take your garden hose with an attachement and lightly rinse it off.

Here is someone with issues after a good washdown.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Start with a cool engine #1, use whatever degreaser you choose and then spray down with the garden hose on medium pressure. Take the car for a drive to get up to temp and dry everything off. A 15 minute drive should do the trick. Don't let a wet engine sit.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Ok I am confused now there is one person saying don�t drive the car till the engine bay is completely dry and another person saying drive it around to dry it off?

98.5 Black SVT with 34k miles Build #5683 Born on 4\15\1998 WR Headers GMK CAI Blaupunkt system fiberglass tweeter pods L.E.D. tail lights in the works
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by BlackE1:
Ok I am confused now there is one person saying don�t drive the car till the engine bay is completely dry and another person saying drive it around to dry it off?

Drive it.

Let the water dry off and get warmed out.

When i did my engine bay my Waterbump belt started squeaking, some parafin wax solved that in like 1 min.

Here is what i do:

Drive to car wash, car is usually pretty warm. Rinse everything down with water, use the cleaner, let sit for 10 mins, then rinse off.

Drive home.

I used Meguiers "tire wax" on all the black stuff and MAN it looks really amazing.. tell the dust came, then my filter got gunked up and everything looked fuzzy.

Now i just wipe it down ever so often with a dry cloth and it looks AMAZING... I also waxed my strut towers and under the hood tho.. so im a loser.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
I just cover the coil pack, airfilter, battery, and HID ballasts with plastic bags. On a cool engine, hit everything with lots of undiluted Simple Green. Scrub any tough spots, then rinse off with a hose with no sprayer on the end (just normal rinse pressure, nice and gentle). Engine will look brand new!

Simple Green not watered down should be plenty strong. I just used it on another car that in 10 years had never had its engine cleaned. After a good coat of S.G., everything rinsed right off.

Pull off the bags, start it up and let it dry.

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
simple greean automotive and some CD2 engine detailer...

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard