Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1632136 08/18/06 02:26 AM
M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
So my car did have MINOR stumbling issues before, but anyways heres the story. I was driving to college today, (350mi) and so i filled up before i left. After 200 miles the sun was killing me so i turned the AC on. i could feel the stumbling issue that i had before come back( above 1/4 tank) on. After stopping for lunch the stumbling was terrible. especially going up hills. Finally when stumbling it would lose power. After pulling over and turning the car off and on the first couple times it started right back up, but from there on i had to wait 20 minutes to start up and could drive maybe 20 miles before it happened again. Finally when i decided to tow it was when i made it maybe 1/2 mile before it stopped again. My firends' dad took a look at it on the road (made it to within 5mi of campus) and suggested it was starving on fuel. I bought ther car recently and was told that the fuel pump was replaced but have no evidence to prive it. But because it will go and then have problems and then run again i do not believe this to be a fuel pump issue. It was all fine until i turned on the AC but since i thought the AC was the cause i drive without it the rest of the trip, heck during one of the stops i treied resetting the computer and did not help. I believe it to be a vapor lock problem, what could be the cause of this headache? BTW i just replaced plugs, wires and cleaned EGR TB passages.

#1632137 08/18/06 02:27 AM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
#1632138 08/18/06 02:27 AM
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by mattp182:
So my car did have MINOR stumbling issues before, but anyways heres the story. I was driving to college today, (350mi) and so i filled up before i left. After 200 miles the sun was killing me so i turned the AC on. i could feel the stumbling issue that i had before come back( above 1/4 tank) on. After stopping for lunch the stumbling was terrible. especially going up hills. Finally when stumbling it would lose power. After pulling over and turning the car off and on the first couple times it started right back up, but from there on i had to wait 20 minutes to start up and could drive maybe 20 miles before it happened again. Finally when i decided to tow it was when i made it maybe 1/2 mile before it stopped again. My firends' dad took a look at it on the road (made it to within 5mi of campus) and suggested it was starving on fuel. I bought ther car recently and was told that the fuel pump was replaced but have no evidence to prive it. But because it will go and then have problems and then run again i do not believe this to be a fuel pump issue. It was all fine until i turned on the AC but since i thought the AC was the cause i drive without it the rest of the trip, heck during one of the stops i treied resetting the computer and did not help. I believe it to be a vapor lock problem, what could be the cause of this headache? BTW i just replaced plugs, wires and cleaned EGR TB passages.

what plugs and wires did you use? have you filled the tank back up with gas recently?

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
#1632139 08/18/06 02:53 AM
M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
Used the autolite iridium platinum plugs and borg-warner wires. I dont think this a fuel pump issue as it will still work sometimes,but then again what do i know. and no i have not had a chance to try more gas, the thought of water in fuel did run through my mind.

#1632140 08/18/06 03:22 AM
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Used the autolite iridium platinum plugs and borg-warner wires. I dont think this a fuel pump issue as it will still work sometimes,but then again what do i know. and no i have not had a chance to try more gas, the thought of water in fuel did run through my mind.

the fuel pump might be fine... the sock filter over the fuel pump might be causing for poor fuel pressure... did the check engine light ever come on? you can have that scanned at a local autozone or advance auto for free... get the code and bring it back and post the code...

Fill the car back to full and see if that makes a difference, if the car runs better you might a) have water in the gas or b) your fuel pump is the culprit.... Which is actually pretty easy to replace.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
#1632141 08/18/06 03:52 AM
M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
The strangest thing is the whole time my CEL never came on. I had the car towed to a mechanic and they are supposed to look at it tomorrow, i guess i will pay for a diagonsis but just wanted to know what might be causing the problems. Any other ideas?

#1632142 08/18/06 05:43 PM
M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
Is it possible that I may have been experiencing vapor lock? or has anyone had similar issues?

#1632143 08/18/06 05:46 PM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
... I had the car towed to a mechanic and they are supposed to look at it tomorrow, i guess i will pay for a diagonsis but just wanted to know what might be causing the problems. Any other ideas?

If you are paying, they will let you know what is wrong. No point worrying about it now.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
#1632144 08/19/06 03:56 PM
M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
Well the reason i am worrying about has come out, they replaced the fuel filter, told me it was the original and that they test drove it and it was fixed. Sure enough 5 minutes after driving it, it started to act up again.... Evidently they are getting misfire codes and the coil plugs and wires they determined to be fine. They said it could be the pump going out but wouldnt know until monday....

#1632145 08/21/06 08:01 AM
M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
Anyone know of causes of bucking usually increased when traveling uphill leading to complete loss of power, then the engine dies and wont run until it sits for awhile?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard