Next Thread
Print Thread
#1631985 08/17/06 07:58 PM
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Hey Guys....quick question. I have an 00 Mystique LS V6 ATX with 142k miles and I'm pretty sure its time for new struts because its riding pretty bad. I'm gonna get it checked out to find out exactly what it needs, but my guess is that it needs struts all around and probably some bushings in the rear since it's mighty clunky in the back. Anyway, does anyone have any opinions on what struts I should get? I took a look at the FAQ post and saw the ones that are available. Basically, I want something that is somewhat close to stock ride quality (roads are pretty bad here in NJ) with the same or better handling that aren't too expensive. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by wcollegenj:
Basically, I want something that is somewhat close to stock ride quality (roads are pretty bad here in NJ) with the same or better handling that aren't too expensive. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Any new struts will feel much better than your worn out ones. Based on your statement above, I would consider replacing with OEM struts from Bill Jenkins. You could upgrade to SVT struts if you wanted things a little firmer. Very little price difference between the two.

I'm assuming you're keeping your stock springs.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Yeah, that is a good idea. How much lower would the SVT struts make the ride height? Also what are your thoughts on the KYB struts?

A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Yeah, that is a good idea. How much lower would the SVT struts make the ride height? Also what are your thoughts on the KYB struts?

Struts are what control the stiffness of the ride, springs are ride height. KYB is decent pending upon which ones you get... GR-2's are a great stock replacement... but I wouldnt lower with them...

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Yeah, the KYB GR-2 was the ones i was lookin at.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Yeah, the KYB GR-2 was the ones i was lookin at.

Worth a shot, in your case. SVT struts would be a bit firmer.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard