Print Thread
#1631790 08/17/06 04:56 AM
Z
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
Have a question for NY'ers.

Is there a certain number of drive cycles that the car needs to go through after turning off the CEL in order to pass a NY inspection? Mine came on last friday for a cylinder 4 missfire. I put in new sparkplugs and its been fine (so far). I had to code reset at autozone on tuesday. The car is due for an inspection in one to two weeks. I'm going back to school and need it to pass. I guess I'm unsure of the emissions portion of the NY inspection.

96 Contour GL 2.0, ATX "Herman" 101K "A Clean zetec is happy zetec"
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
unplug the battery for 10 minutes before you go take the test.

If it's acting fine now I would get it inspected ASAP to avoid problems.

They might not even do emissions, 10 years old or newer, I know my cars a 96 and they never did emissions the last time I got it inspected.

96' ATX Zetec- stock 96' ATX Zetec- Modded Kenwood KDC-319 5.75"-2 MTX 12's Roady XT Custom door panels Mystique Cluster/oil pressure Getting repainted(in primer) Pre98 Lip SE skirts Mystique front lip dingless badgeless
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by pre98zetec:
unplug the battery for 10 minutes before you go take the test.

No. Supportively speaking and not trying to step on your toes, but they will see the car hasn't cycled through completely and fail you on the spot (or just not test your car at all- but for me here it would be the first).

As far emissions goes, they will not actually test the exhaust, they will rely on readings from the PCM.

Hope this clears some things up.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
All depends on the garage. They may see that code and realize it was something simple you took care of. I wouldn't worry.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Matt R:
All depends on the garage. They may see that code and realize it was something simple you took care of. I wouldn't worry.

It doesn't depend on the garage. The new Computer system works completely around the garage, they can't "fake it" for you. If you reset the PCM before going, you'll fail, you have to clean a code by doing enough driving cycles. The good old days are defintely gone.

Current Ride: 1998 Contour SVT - T-Red, Res. Delete, K&N under the hood, broken side skirt at passenger rear jackpoint. Its FOR SALE, see the classifieds.
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Pre98:

No. Supportively speaking and not trying to step on your toes, but they will see the car hasn't cycled through completely and fail you on the spot (or just not test your car at all- but for me here it would be the first).

exactly.

secondly, i don't know how long the cycle is, but when i tried to get my car inspected, i drove about 50 miles that day after clearing a code in an effort to get my inspection done before it expired, and got nowhere. I wound up having to do it again a few days later.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.

Link Copied to Clipboard