Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
I definitely have bare wires. Even some of the injector wires are flaking off. But the strange thing is that I took my car in for a diagnostic on my two times before the 10 year mark, once before I even bought the car and another w/ a timing belt problem. Hopefully I'll find the receipt and show them whats what.

I thought I fixed my fan w/o out the sensor right after the post, and it worked but only for a few days. But that is just the fan, there are other problem areas.

My ride(Cardomain link) : '95 Contour 16V Zetec DOHC, Teal , ATX Born on Sep. 4, 1995 86+ miles *LEDs mods are on their way!*
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Check out the connectors that are part of the fuel injector harness. This harness is subject to high heat. the wires under the UIM are usually the wires with the most dammaged insulation. I just so happen to have a brand new harness I can sell you. Part # F6RZ-9D930-S6A. There are at least ten connectors that are part of this harness, TPS, IMRC, Coil Pack, all 6 injectors, front upper HEGO, IAC, CAM, and crank position sensor, water temp etc. The price for just the fuel / charging harness is approx. $ 370 thats Bills price all four are about $2000.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by KerryKool:
.... But the strange thing is that I took my car in for a diagnostic on my two times before the 10 year mark, once before I even bought the car and another w/ a timing belt problem. ..

I know what the answer to that will be. "Sorry, can't help you. It was fine when you brought it in. The wiring harness started flaking after the 10 year mark".

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by icysvt:
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Originally posted by icysvt:
tony do you know if the harness in that how to is just one harness

CSVT#49's how to is one harness. The recall has 4 harnesses. The $600 is for all 4 harness. Check with Bill Jenkins if you can purchase just the one that you need. Read the posted links.

ok if that is just one harness then that is the fix i need and it won't be that expensive either i don't guess i'll contact bill

Yea sorry I didn't chime in on this earlier.

First of all you need to ask yourself if you have less then 100,000 miles on your car. If you do, then your saved, Ford will replace your harnesses under the recall 99M03 because of your cars production date. You may need to call Ford Customer service and speak to a representative. However you will first have to call a dealership and speak with someone there. Tell them the problems, and give them that recall number. Make sure you speak to a service manager tell him/her who you are, your VIN number and explain the recall. Chances are he/she will know about it and explain to you that it is only for 95-97 Contours and that your VIN number does not come up under the recall. This is fine tell him/her you are going to call Ford Customer Service because you know that it is covered and tell them about your situation. When speaking to customer serivce make reference to the dealership and the service manager so that when Ford Customer Service authorizes the dealership to make the repair under that recall they will have a contact to that dealer and have a person to speak to, in this case the service manager you spoke with. Everything after that will be fine and dandy. You will just have to get your car to the dealership for the repairs.

If you do decide to do it yourself because you have over 100,000miles then you just need to rewire the main engine harness and check the other harnesses for problems. Refer to the recall for part numbers and harnesses to check. If you have issues with the wiring for the cam and crank sensors that will be where you spend most of your time rewiring, but everything else is pretty quick and painless. The crank and cam sensor have a copper wire wrapped around the signal wires to prevent signal interference to the ECM. I had to strip insulation off of the wires I bought to wrap it around the new signal wires. I have pictures of the process from when I did this HERE. If you have any questions PM me or post here and I will try my best to answer them.

Good luck.

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by CSVT#49:

First of all you need to ask yourself if you have less then 100,000 miles on your car. If you do, then your saved, Ford will replace your harnesses under the recall 99M03

He has a 98 model. 95-97 models only.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
..Yea sorry I didn't chime in on this earlier.

First of all you need to ask yourself if you have less then 100,000 miles on your car. If you do, then your saved, Ford will replace your harnesses under the recall 99M03

You just need to rewire the main engine harness and check the other harnesses for problems. Refer to the recall for part numbers and harnesses to check. If you have issues with the wiring for the cam and crank sensors that will be where you spend most of your time rewiring, but everything else is pretty quick and painless. The crank and cam sensor have a copper wire wrapped around the signal wires to prevent signal interference to the ECM. I had to strip insulation off of the wires I bought to wrap it around the new signal wires. I have pictures of the process from when I did this HERE. If you have any questions PM me or post here and I will try my best to answer them.

Good luck.

Hey! We don't need your links. Need just your advice, expertise and experience. I've already posted those two links.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by eepals:

He has a 98 model. 95-97 models only.

Not so fast! That doesn't matter... his production number and date from his SIG is "#844 Born May 9,1997" So as far as Ford is concerned it falls under the recall because of this oh so fine sentence: "Certain 1995 - 1997 Contour and Mystique vehicles built from Job #1 1995 through Model Year End 1997 "

1997 is the key there. I have already been through this with Ford customer service and our cars if the production date is within 1997 are covered under this recall because 1997 parts were being used on these cars.

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Didn't you have a early model 98? Did you get any refund from Ford for the work you did? I see you have # 49 never mind the first question.

Last edited by eepals; 08/17/06 03:21 AM.
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Hey! We don't need your links, just your advice, expertise and experience. I've already posted those two links.

LOL! I see how it is. Yea sorry I didn't bother reading all of your links or clicking on them otherwise I wouldn't have bothered posting them. My bad. Good advice and quick to the punch man!

So as far as expertise and experience...

Heres what you'll have to do:

-Remove the air intake and all of it's vaccumm tubing and put to the side
-Disconnect the EGR valve vaccuum tubing, unbolt the EGR valve
-disconnect the idler air valve wire plug (mark it with label)
-disconnect the EGR vaccumm valve wire plug(black cylinder looking thing on the back of the UIM, mark it with label) and then disconnect all of the vaccuum lines going to it.
-Unplug all of the plug wires and make note of which ones go where.
-unplug the coil pack from the harness and unbolt it from the valve cover.
-Unbolt the UIM, remove it from the engine and set it aside.
-Unplug harness from the alternator and unbolt wiring to it
-Unplug HEGO or O2 sensors from harness (mark with labels)
-Unplug cam sensor and crank sensors (marking wire plugs with labels)
-Unplug the oil pressure sensor behind the A/C compressor (mark with label)
-Unplug the injectors from the harness and mark ends.
-Unplug the speed sensor on top of the transmission
-Unplug knock sensor on back side of engine towards driver side (mark with label)
-behind the powersteering resoivor is the ECU plug. There is a allen screw holding the plug on. Unscrew it and it comes off.
-Unbolt starter connections and remove plug from starter.
-On the drivers side over by where the air intake sits is the connection which goes to the power distribution box and the interior cabin. There is another allen screw here which holds the connection together. Unscrew it and disconnect it.

At this point assuming I haven't forgotten something you should be ready to remove the harness from the engine bay.

Now remove all of the plastic wire covering and inspect all of the wiring for broken insulation and bare wires. Cut the sections off one at a time. Doing it this way will elimate the chance of wires getting mixed up.

Once you are finished replace the plastic wire covering and use electrical tape to afix it to the harness so it will not come loose and fall off. You should be good to go after this. Remember to wrap the cam and crank sensors with copper wire and soder them to the corresponding ground wire. I believe I have this outlined in my previous How-To that I linked in one of my recent posts.

Good luck and again if you need anything don't hesitate to PM me with questions!

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by eepals:
Didn't you have a early model 98? Did you get any refund from Ford for the work you did? I see you have # 49 never mind the first question.

Unforuantly no as my car at the time had 122k on it (even though the engine had 43k). So I was SOL, which is why I was stuck doing the work myself.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard