Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
taw3335 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have a 1998 Contour GS. When I insert the key in the ignition switch, the chime no longer sounds, the engine will not start, and the lights, instruments, radio, etc., are dead. THe gearshift will not shift out of park. The emergency flashers work, and all the fuses are good. I suspect this is a bad ignition switch, since the chimes don't sound when the key is inserted. Or will the same thing happen if the ignition relay or some other component is bad?

F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Check the ignition fuse located in the engine compartment fuse box. I've bought a few that didn't run due to the blown fuse which was caused by the ignition wire getting corroded and shorting from the battery acid that seems to eat up those wires in these cars. How's the wiring look under the battery?

Parting out 95-97 Contours/Mystiques. Contact me directly at ALFIGOLS@yahoo.com if you're looking for a particular part.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by taw3335:
I have a 1998 Contour GS. When I insert the key in the ignition switch, the chime no longer sounds, the engine will not start, and the lights, instruments, radio, etc., are dead. THe gearshift will not shift out of park. The emergency flashers work, and all the fuses are good. I suspect this is a bad ignition switch, since the chimes don't sound when the key is inserted. Or will the same thing happen if the ignition relay or some other component is bad?

Welcome . How did you determine the fuses were good? Did you look or did you use a fuse tester ($8 from Autozone or Advance) or did you use a DVOM?

Click Fuse diagram

Ignition switch how to

If you don't have an Owners' Manual, download one at www.fleet.ford.com

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
T
taw3335 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Fuses were checked with DVOM. All fuses are good. Have not checked any wires under the battery.

T
taw3335 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
So, no one knows what electrical items are associated with the ignition relay or the ignition key?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Have you checked wiring under the battery, Power Distribution Box, Passenger Compartment Fuse box, removed ignition switch (and lock) to check if it might be broken?

K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
I have a brand new In The Box Ignition Switch for a 1998 Contour.

It cost me $48.00 new from Ford.

If you want, make me an offer.

Gary

The Drake Equation States: N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L Meaning That There Is A Good Chance That We Are Not Alone.
T
taw3335 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
No, I haven't removed the ignition switch, but have checked the other items you mentioned. I see no reason remove the ignitin switch yet because if someone can tell me what electrical items the relay controls and what electrical items the ignition switch controls, I should know which one to replace.

F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by taw3335:
No, I haven't removed the ignition switch, but have checked the other items you mentioned. I see no reason remove the ignitin switch yet because if someone can tell me what electrical items the relay controls and what electrical items the ignition switch controls, I should know which one to replace.

The igintion switch takes all of 15 seconds to remove. Do yourself a favor. Swap out the igintion relay with a like relay in the car. If you turn the key and get power to all the items that you weren't getting power to before, then you've diagnosed the relay as the problem. If you still have the same problem then pull the igintion switch plug which is located under the dash at the back of the key cylinder on the steering column. Test to make sure that you are getting power to the plug first and if you are jump power to the ignition lead. If no power at the supply then your problem is elsewhere if you have power, but still nothing after jumping it to the igintion, then I would take apart your under hood fuse box and check the condition of the wires.

Don't fall in to the same mistake that a lot of newbies do on these message boards by looking for someone to give you the magic answer that is going to fix your car with out doing any trouble shooting on your own. That can't happen. You need to have some automotive knowledge. Especially in electrical troublshooting for a situation like yours. It also helps to have an electrical diagram (a simple Haynes manual will do). Most of all, common sense. You need to get in there with a test light and start testing wires.

Most on this site are pretty good at giving good troubleshooting sugestions. These cars have lots of electrical problems and most aren't as simple as replacing a relay or switch. Most CEG members have gone through it at one time or another. If you start dismissing suggestions you'll quickly fall off the radar.

Parting out 95-97 Contours/Mystiques. Contact me directly at ALFIGOLS@yahoo.com if you're looking for a particular part.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Figols:
...Don't fall in to the same mistake that a lot of newbies do on these message boards by looking for someone to give you the magic answer that is going to fix your car with out doing any trouble shooting on your own. That can't happen. You need to have some automotive knowledge. Especially in electrical troublshooting for a situation like yours. It also helps to have an electrical diagram (a simple Haynes manual will do). Most of all, common sense. You need to get in there with a test light and start testing wires.

Most on this site are pretty good at giving good troubleshooting sugestions. These cars have lots of electrical problems and most aren't as simple as replacing a relay or switch. Most CEG members have gone through it at one time or another. If you start dismissing suggestions you'll quickly fall off the radar.

+1

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard