Print Thread
#1630927 08/16/06 01:38 AM
E
Edith Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
E
My antenna on my 1998 Contour is not working. When I crank the car or cut it off the antenna does not go up or down. I can here the sound it makes when going up/down just not doing it. Do I need a new antenna motor? Is it all one piece? Where is the best place to get one?
Thanks

#1630928 08/16/06 01:56 AM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Have you looked at the antenna (inside the trunk) to see if you can visually tell what's wrong?

Pull back the trunk liner on the passenger side, and look. If you hear the noise of the motor running, you've eliminated a HUGE list of possibilities, already! You obviously have power and a good ground, etc. Now you're only left with the motor, the gear, or the connections between the two.

Take a look at that antenna base in the trunk and see if anything's hanging, etc. Have a friend turn the radio off then on while you watch the motion. Perhaps it will be something you can reattach, or fix.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1630929 08/16/06 02:04 AM
E
Edith Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
E
We have look in the trunk at it. Didn't see anything. Yes you can here the power to the antenna. Should I be looking for a motor for it? does the motor and antenna come as one piece? Where would be the best place to find one?

#1630930 08/16/06 02:43 AM
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Edith:
My antenna on my 1998 Contour is not working. When I crank the car or cut it off the antenna does not go up or down. I can here the sound it makes when going up/down just not doing it. Do I need a new antenna motor? Is it all one piece? Where is the best place to get one?
Thanks

If you can hear the motor moving and making noises, just going to have to replace your ANTENNA assembly. It's very easy especially with an aftermarket deck with remote, you don't need someone turning the radio on and off, just feed the teeth in until it catches. If you have JUST INSTALLED a deck, check your wiring because you probably haven't connected the harness to the deck for that.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
#1630931 08/16/06 02:43 AM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Thanks

i have the same exact problem with my 98

my ride: 1998 Ford SVT contour Silver mods: Silver grilles,knauberized,gold calipers,HELLA Optilux Angel Eyes,piaa windsheild wipers....next mods to come within the next month: SVTF euro wheels,Fuzion ZRI`s 215/40/17,Eibachs
#1630932 08/16/06 02:45 AM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by m4gician:
Thanks

If you can hear the motor moving and making noises, just going to have to replace your ANTENNA assembly. It's very easy especially with an aftermarket deck with remote, you don't need someone turning the radio on and off, just feed the teeth in until it catches. If you have JUST INSTALLED a deck, check your wiring because you probably haven't connected the harness to the deck for that.

best p[lace probably to find an an antenna motor would be @your local junk yard

my ride: 1998 Ford SVT contour Silver mods: Silver grilles,knauberized,gold calipers,HELLA Optilux Angel Eyes,piaa windsheild wipers....next mods to come within the next month: SVTF euro wheels,Fuzion ZRI`s 215/40/17,Eibachs
#1630933 08/16/06 01:34 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Mine was doing the same thing when I bought the car. I got a new mast from eBay. Click here Antenna Mast

It will come with instructions as well. When I tore mine apart there was a piece of the white plastic with teeth on it broken off in the bottom of the antenna. Just compare the legnth of the new antenna with the old one, If the new one is longer you can pull the cover off the bottom of the antenna motor and pull the piece out. The same company also offers a complete power antenna assembly, there is a link to it on the ebay page.

I wouldn't go to the junkyard due to the fact that these are plastic and will break eventually. You're only looking at 20 bucks for a new one.

1998 SVT. Silver Frost. #4076 of 6535. SOLD! http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2143175
#1630934 08/27/06 03:47 AM
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
We have look in the trunk at it. Didn't see anything. Yes you can here the power to the antenna. Should I be looking for a motor for it? does the motor and antenna come as one piece? Where would be the best place to find one?

It's because your motor is fine. The problem is your antenna mast is not in one piece. If you take your antenna motor assembly apart you will find that the long plastic geared line that connects your antenna mast to the motor is broken. It's broken at a point that does not allow your antenna mast be drawn down into the motor assembly. If you replace the antenna mast assembly with a piece that has a complete geared line your antenna will work properly again. All you need is this piece:

You can buy one HERE

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard