Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Originally posted by Kinyoto:
This might be kind of a stupid question but what does that do? I have been having problems with my A/C and when I took it to the repair place they told me I would ultimately have to have the compressor replaced? Not looking forward to spending $800 right now

That switch is the high pressure switch assembly.
Good reading material

It is probably the receiver/drier which needs to be changed. I think brapple just got his replaced.

yes I just had one in my contour replaced and I replaced the on in my mystique myself ....

tony, the other one, the CT one ... glad I could help, but I was confused who was talking about me helping them until I finally realized the you had changed your sn

look what you can find under the foam from my 99 ...

also note the the accumulator/dryer is different between the zetec and duratec

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
K
Kinyoto Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
Originally posted by SVTour 3.0:
That plugs into the A/C drier.

No idea why there is a paper clip in it though.

That's a common trick of sleazebag used car lots to get the AC to work instead of actually repairing it.

Steve

So what would be broke? The other end of the plug that it plugs into?

www.kinyoto.com MYSPACE Music 98' Silver Contour SVT
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
Originally posted by SVTour 3.0:
That plugs into the A/C drier.

No idea why there is a paper clip in it though.

That's a common trick of sleazebag used car lots to get the AC to work instead of actually repairing it.

Steve

So what would be broke?

The a/c drier.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
K
Kinyoto Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Could this have been done by someone at the Ford dealership when they were running the diagnostic on it? I have had the car for over 3 years now and have spent time under the hood..even replaced the battery once so I know I would have seen this before?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Could this have been done by someone at the Ford dealership when they were running the diagnostic on it? ..

Could be. It could be the way to test if the drier is the problem or something else (compressor). Only way to know is to ask them.

K
Kinyoto Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
I was told that the clutch was bad on the compressor but I don't remember the drier being mentioned as bad.

Oh well guess I gotta suck it up and pay unless someone has a how to on replacing that

Thanks for the info fellas!

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
drier is easy to replace ... disconnect the two lines and unbolt the bracket and disconnect the low pressure switch and remove. may need to remove the battery also to get to this

once the dryer is out remove low pressure sensor and o-ring and install on new dryer, get 4 green AC o-rings for the two lines and reinstall

also I would plug it back in first and try some uv die with a black light to pin point a leak if there is one

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Does the clutch engage now, with the clip in the plug, a/c on? It should, because the a/c "thinks" it has enough refrigerant. The clutch is replaceable without a whole compressor, although the labor might be similar. My compressor actually had a leak in the housing o-ring.

K
Kinyoto Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
This problem started last summer when I was driving on the interstate all was good but as soon as I got into stop n go traffic it would gradually get warmer and if i got back maoving again it would cool back down, but if I didn't then it would just get hot and then would not get cold again until I stopped the car and let it set for a while.

I will have to check to see if the clutch is engaging though.

I am mechanically inclined, is the clutch something that I could do myself. (Mind you I have EPA certification to work on automotive A/C system...got the license when I got my regular HVAC certification but I have never really worked on a car a/c system before)

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
This problem started last summer when I was driving on the interstate all was good but as soon as I got into stop n go traffic it would gradually get warmer and if i got back maoving again it would cool back down, but if I didn't then it would just get hot and then would not get cold again until I stopped the car and let it set for a while.

I will have to check to see if the clutch is engaging though.

Sounds like the clutch air gap.
Clutch air gap thread

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard