Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Kinyoto Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Anybody know what this is supposed to be connected too? The pics are not the best but it is all I could do right now. It is a plug with 4 female connections but only 2 have metal prongs inside the housing. It is located right below the battery next to the line for the A/C (i think). I don't remember this ever being this way and I have spent time under the hood of this 98 SVT so it has me confused why it has what looks like a bent paper clip plugged into the two connections of the plug.

Any ideas??

www.kinyoto.com MYSPACE Music 98' Silver Contour SVT
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
That plugs into the A/C drier.

No idea why there is a paper clip in it though.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
K
Kinyoto Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
I see what looks like a round base below it but the male prongs look plastic? Is that what it plugs into or is it another portion of the plug maybe fallen under where I can see it?

Mad Thanks for the quick response!

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Yup, plugs right into that.

It's a 4 pin plug but only 2 wires are actually installed on the plug.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
K
Kinyoto Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
This might be kind of a stupid question but what does that do? I have been having problems with my A/C and when I took it to the repair place they told me I would ultimately have to have the compressor replaced? Not looking forward to spending $800 right now

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Kinyoto:
This might be kind of a stupid question but what does that do? I have been having problems with my A/C and when I took it to the repair place they told me I would ultimately have to have the compressor replaced? Not looking forward to spending $800 right now

That switch is the high pressure switch assembly.
Good reading material

It is probably the receiver/drier which needs to be changed. I think brapple just got his replaced.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
K
Kinyoto Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Thanks for that link!
Reading now.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Check the drier for rust. That is usually the first part of the A/C that needs replacing.

A/C service gets pricey if you have them replace parts. Even if you don't know about A/C (like me), replace the bad parts yourself then have the shop vacuum the system, charge, etc. Will save you alot of money.

Brapple saved me tons of cash helping me out. I just found the 2 problem parts, replaced them free from my parts car, bought refrigerant, and had Brapple help with the recharge.

Total cost - $50

I saved probably about $500-600 than if I brought it to a shop, bought new parts from them and had them do the servicing.

K
Kinyoto Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Thanks for the info!

Honestly I trust the guy at Ford (Bevan a fellow CEG'r) but I simply can't sqeeze the money to get it fixed and even though summer is almost over it is still freaking hot!!

I took it into the Dealership he works at and he told me that the compressor clutch was gone and something else and that with the amount of miles on my SVT (119,000) that he wouldn't bother doing anything but just going ahead and replacing the compressor and getting thsystem back online with a warranty for what was done, and he was going to work a deal on the compressor cost but still all in all totaled up to close to $800. I know that is probobly what is best but I don't have those funds available anytime soon. I'm all for doing whatever I can myself but I have found that most in depth repairs end up at the dealer since I just can't get to most of the sutff on the engine.

I am always open to any ideas so thanks guys for the quick responses.

Kinyoto

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by SVTour 3.0:
That plugs into the A/C drier.

No idea why there is a paper clip in it though.

That's a common trick of sleazebag used car lots to get the AC to work instead of actually repairing it.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard