Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
Ok, well--I purchased my '95 Contour GL A/T a month or so ago. It had an issue or two when I bought it, but I don't drive the car much and I got it for real cheap so I've kind of been putting it on the back burner.

When I first got the car: From a cold start, you'd need to keep your foot on the gas for 10 seconds or so--or else the car would stall out or try to stall. After that it seemed to idle on its own, not feeling like it was misfiring or anything. Also, I noticed that I'd get a CEL flash every once in a while in the 30-55mph range. I was told this was most likely EGR, so I didn't worry about it much. The last issue was a major hesitation. Whenever I got off the gas and got onto it again, there would be a good 1 second delay before I'd go anywhere.

NOW:
The car still has every issue it had before, with the addition of the trans going cookey. If I go WOT and the trans kicks down-I don't go anywhere. Also, while I'm driving randomly I'll feel an immediate loss of power where the trans just goes gimpy and won't hold into a gear. (NOT fun when you're on the highway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) After several seconds, or if I put it in neutral, give it a little rev (let the rpms drop back down), and put it back into -D- it will go back to normal for a while. This trans issue has been happening ever since last week when I was driving home and the small coolant hose (like 4" long) off the tstat housing blew, spewing coolant around. When I was replacing that hose, I noticed the larger rad hose above it was getting soft and expanding so I replaced that aswell. I've also noticed the car doesen't exactly get great gas mileage. (I'd expect this thing to get almost double the mileage my RX7 does...)

I tried to pull the ecu codes today... I was a little confused at first because I swore it kept flashing 5-6-3 over and over, but I can't find that as a valid code anywhere, or understand why it would of repeated again and again (all the rest of the codes came one after another, then repeated in a large loop).

After the 563, I got the following codes.

I'm going to reset the ECU sometime today, and take it for a spin and check the codes again and post my results.

A friend of mine told me over the phone that the cold start issue had to do with a coolant sensor? And the trans issue is being caused by a sensor off the trans in the one wheel well. However he told me this just based on the symptoms I described, and his experience with his 'tour. I don't plan on running out and buying these sensors (which I assume aren't cheap) without knowing they will surely solve the problem.

A little history on the car--it has approx 140k on the clock... New belts, air filter, general maint. kept up--etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
You may have a wiring harness issue. Check this codes for a description.

1995 OBD-I 3 digit codes

Yes, clear the codes and see what comes back. Have you changed the ATFluid yet? Try that first for the last code 646.

ATFluid 3x change

Read this for IAT and ECT testing

Last edited by Tony2005; 08/15/06 03:24 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
J
OP Offline
J
I was going to change the ATF, but I was going to do the routine I did on my old trans, and run a half a bottle of seafoam trans tune in the car for a few miles, then do the fluid change with a bottle of lucas stop-slip and some nice-grade ATF. I was told NOT to do this on the poor contour trans, and just do a good ol fluid change--so I was going to wait till I posted in here. Also, exactly what trans fluid type does my car use? (No manual w/ car)

PS: Your 2nd link is invalid.

TIA.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Edited the link. Use Mercon/Dextron III ATFluid.

Download an Owners' Manual. www.fleet.ford.com

A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Tony2005:

I thought the new service bullitin said you were supposed to use mercon V?

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:
Originally posted by Tony2005:

I thought the new service bullitin said you were supposed to use mercon V?

Once again, just for you, Aliasjerk.

"Beginning immediately all automatic transmission / transaxle applications requiring MERCON�® can now be serviced using MERCON�® V or MERCON�® Automatic Transmission Fluid or dual usage fluids labeled MERCON�® / MERCON�® V." TSB

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard