Print Thread
R
Reebs Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Hey guys,

I have a 96 Contour Sport with the 2.5L and MTX. It was throwing 9 codes when I bought it but I fixed them all as of right now... Praying that none of them will come back...

Anyways, I recently bought a new upper and lower intake manifold gasket set and cleaned my manifolds to like new condition. I had my IAC off the upper intake manifold while it was soaking for a few days to help loosen up all the carbon from the EGR. I got it all put back together and now the car runs like a champ, but my idle is around 900 instead of its old 720 to 740 before the cleaning. Also when crusing in 5th gear and then putting the car in neutral the RPMs drop to 2000 until I come to a complete stop and then they drop to 900. Everything is smooth, just acting a little strange with the idle. I should have cleaned my Idle Air Control when I had it off the car, but I forgot.

Could this be my IAC acting up since I had it off? I reused its gasket because it was in perfect shape.

I just had a thought... maybe I need to go pull fuses 4 and 11 for a few minutes and see if that fixes it once my ECU is reset. I had my battery disconnected for about 2 weeks, and I assumed that my ECU would automatically reset, but maybe not.

Please feel free to shoot any other ideas at me. I thought it possibly could be the TPS, but I highly doubt it. I don't even know where the TPS is on my car!?!

Thanks guys, and sorry for the long post!

Reebs

For Sale - 96 Tour Sport 2.5L MTX with SVT Exhaust, pre 98 trunklid with newer Contour Sport spoiler instead of lip spoiler, newer Contour sport rims. Newer paint job. Brand new floor mats. Rust Free! PM me for details and pics.
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Yup I'd try unhooking those fuses and replug em.. THey should have reset but maybe not..

1999 Mystique Sport 2nd owner bought it in Sept 03
120000km 4 door, leather, loaded pics on cardomain, coatsy
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by coatsy:
Yup I'd try unhooking those fuses and replug em.. THey should have reset but maybe not..

4 and 11 resets the computer... if that doesnt help anything you want to try cleaning the IAC if you havent already... and if that doesnt help you might want to look into doing the throttle hang fix.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
R
Reebs Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:
Originally posted by coatsy:

4 and 11 resets the computer... if that doesnt help anything you want to try cleaning the IAC if you havent already... and if that doesnt help you might want to look into doing the throttle hang fix.

I did the throttle hang fix already, and I am about to go try pulling 4 and 11 for a few minutes. If that doesn't work, then I am going to take off my IAC and clean it. If that doesn't work I am going to say screw it and sell the darn car with I high idle!

Feel free to shoot any other ideas at me though. I will keep you guys informed.

Thanks...

Reebs

For Sale - 96 Tour Sport 2.5L MTX with SVT Exhaust, pre 98 trunklid with newer Contour Sport spoiler instead of lip spoiler, newer Contour sport rims. Newer paint job. Brand new floor mats. Rust Free! PM me for details and pics.
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
My guess is just to clean the IAC like you said...prob just a piece of carbon built up

1998.5 SVT contour #5979 3L 1995 Mercury Mystique 2.5L auto, all ghetto fo sho
R
Reebs Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by starjammir:
My guess is just to clean the IAC like you said...prob just a piece of carbon built up

I agree that it is a possible problem, I just don't see why my IAC would be perfectly fine before and then cause issues after I clean my Intake manifolds. I guess we will see when I go to reset my ECU Right Now!!! Hopefully that will take care of it.

Thanks!

Reebs

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Clean the IAC valve and buy a $1 gasket. The IAC is probably leaking air due to the old gasket.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
R
Reebs Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Clean the IAC valve and buy a $1 gasket. The IAC is probably leaking air due to the old gasket.

Resetting my ECU did not correct the problem. I also noticed that I am throwing a code again. Where do I get an IAC gasket!?!? Do they sell them at Murrays or Autozone? Code the leaking IAC gasket cause a code???

Thanks,

Reebs

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Reebs:
Originally posted by Tony2005:

Resetting my ECU did not correct the problem. I also noticed that I am throwing a code again. Where do I get an IAC gasket!?!? Do they sell them at Murrays or Autozone? Code the leaking IAC gasket cause a code???

Thanks,

Reebs

Get the IAC valve gasket from any dealer. Yes, a leaking IAC gasket could cause a vacuum leak code. Scan and post the new code.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Reebs:
Hey guys,

I have a 96 Contour Sport with the 2.5L and MTX.

I thought it possibly could be the TPS, but I highly doubt it. I don't even know where the TPS is on my car!?!

Thanks guys, and sorry for the long post!

Reebs

Just in case you want to check it, here is where the TPS is:

Remove the Cover (arrow) and then it will be easier to see and access There are 2 screws that hold it in and a wiring harness. It's a simple thing to change.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard