Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1629829 08/14/06 01:11 PM
D
OP Offline
D
I have a 98 SVT and the check engine light is on. The code is Fuel Air Metering, the guy at advance auto parts thinks it is the maf sensor. However the previous owner modified the air intake and put in a short ram air intake. Could this be the source of my problems? Also I was told I could just clean the maf sensor has anyone done this before?

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Need the specific code that was pulled.

Also any pictures of your intake setup might help too. Never know if the last owner might of ghetto rigged the intake to work.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
Need the specific code that was pulled.

Also any pictures of your intake setup might help too. Never know if the last owner might of ghetto rigged the intake to work.

Welcome . As suggested, do post the exact code(s) and take pictures. There is a good chance the MAF sensor is not put in a proper spot. And it probably needs to be cleaned anyway.

MAF sensor
http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=36
and
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=zetecmaint&Number=989728&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1
and
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/cb/25/0900823d801bcb25.jsp

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
D
OP Offline
D
Here is a picture of my setup, also the code is P1151

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Some of the reasons for P1151. Bank 2 Upper O2 sensor. You may want to consider cleaning the MAF sensor and changing the O2 sensor.

P1151 - Lack of HO2S-21 Switch, Fuel Trim at Limit The HEGO Sensor is monitored for switching. The code will set when the HO2S fails to switch due to circuit or fuel at or exceeding a calibrated limit.

Electrical:
�· Short to VPWR or VREF in harness or HO2S
�· HO2S circuit shorted to Ground
�· Water in harness connector
�· Open circuit
�· Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
�· Damaged HO2S
�· Damaged PCM (other DTCs should be present)

Fuel System:
�· Excessive fuel pressure (stuck fuel pressure regulator, restricted fuel return lines, etc.)
�· Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors or fuel pressure regulator
�· Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel (fuel pump concern, fuel supply line restrictions, low fuel level, etc.)
�· Vapor recovery system (stuck VMV, etc.)

Induction System:
�· MAF contamination
�· Air leaks between MAF and throttle plate
�· PCV system / Other vacuum leaks
�· Improperly seated engine oil dipstick

EGR System:
�· Leaking gasket
�· Stuck EGR valve / Leaking diaphragm or EVR

Base Engine:
�· Oil overfill
�· Incorrect cylinder compression
�· Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S
�· Secondary air stuck on

Bank 2 (radiator side) Upper O2 sensor; Need a O2 sensor removal tool, 7/8 inch or 22 mm crescent wrench.

On this 2-Dimensional picture, ignore the red box and arrow, the Bank 2 Upper is the sensor on the left of the pre-cat (closest to the oil filter). The arrow is pointing to the Bank 2 pre-cat
Originally posted by chongo:

Click Duratec Maintenance FAQ for most how to items.

Last edited by Tony2005; 08/15/06 01:22 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard