Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Only advantage over nitrous setup is that this system is self replenishing. I would rather save the extra money for a true supercharger or turbo system.

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by fastcougar:
Only advantage over nitrous setup is that this system is self replenishing. I would rather save the extra money for a true supercharger or turbo system.

Nitrous= 1500

Turbo=7000

Not really fair.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
This isn't anything new. Hell I had this idea when I was in highschool many years ago. I would have patented it, but since I didn't have $8k I couldn't. However despite me not having the money there are to many inefficiencies with it. You need to have an electric motor that can rev to about 72,000RPM to produce any decent boost. Plus a motor like that requires a lot of electricity, where does it come from? You would have to have on helluva charging system to provide that kind of power. So then the question becomes how much power are you robbing from your engine to support that charging system? You would have to run twin alternators similar to cars with extreme audio systems.

The only way I could come up with to make the electric supercharger worth while was to have some sort of regenerative system that would make use of otherwise wasted energy. To do this you would have to have a system similar to what is used on the Prius some type of regenerative braking system. Or I thought you could install one huge ass capacitor that would store enough energy to support short bursts of boost at higher RPM's.

In any of these cases you don't gain a whole lot of boost for a very long period of time.

With all of that said... I do like how he used three starter motors to run the screw. I still don't think you can get away from the high performance charging system it looks like he's running two sets of batteries in that car shown. Although it looks like they have idiot lights installed in the car to show the status of the battery packs, I'm assuming red is bad, yellow is charging and green is good to go.

I think to make a system like this worth while it would have to have the capability of providing continuous boost from start to finish in a race.

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by Tourige:

Nitrous= 1500

Turbo=7000

Not really fair.

You need to check your math ... you could build your own turbo kit for 1/3rd of that price!

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Tourige:

Nitrous= 1500

Turbo=7000

Not really fair.

You need to check your math ... you could build your own turbo kit for 1/3rd of that price!

Plus a tune, and chip, and quaife, and...

Turbo is only so simple, you cant just throw on a turbo and expect things to work fine.

a Turbo+stock Tranny=running on limited time.

much like your weiner.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
yep. my 100 shot already damn near leaves the axles on the ground with the stage3 clutch

1998 CSVT NX stage 1 ford EFI kit MSD dis-4 B&M short throw K&N short ram intake Fsvt Euro 17's Trubendz 2.5" exhaust Spec stage 3 249.9 HP 258.2 TRQ clutch slipping the whole time
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
You logic is blind ... you don't think that nitrous will have adverse effects on the diff as well?

K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
Agreed. A power adder is a power adder, 75hp from nitrous has the same effects on the tranny as 75hp from a turbo! How is your tranny better off making power with nitrous than with a turbo?

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
"waist of money"

Don't know if it will hold up to much RPM.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
Agreed. A power adder is a power adder, 75hp from nitrous has the same effects on the tranny as 75hp from a turbo! How is your tranny better off making power with nitrous than with a turbo?

Im making 230whp with a 75 shot.. What would bolting on a turbo give me? 290ish??

You just get more power out of a turbo.

Sorry, I just think Nitrous is perfect for someone who dosent want to drop 7K into a car, but still wants the car to be quick.

much like your weiner.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard