Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
It just so happens to be my Contour.

Well, I replaced the alternator. I also replaced the links between the stabilizer bar and the struts for both sides, and I also did my first brake job. Well, when I pulled it out to test drive it, it was misfiring one one cylinder. At the higher RPMs, it felt much smoother.

When taking off of one cylinder, the car would kinda hesitate when accelerating. It would move then the engine would stop, the go again, all of that occuring within a second.

Well, I went on, and the car suddenly stopped. It died. At the middle of an intersection. At the opposite side of the freeway onramp. Yes, when they say that cars break down at the worst possible places, it is true. It is VERY true.

Well, I tried starting it several times, and the engine turned on (still misfiring on one cyl), and after a few seconds, it would go down to only one cylinder firing, and then it'd quit.

Did I miss a step in my jaunt worth of repairs? I did everything to the letter.

This time, I really do need help.

Is my car for sale? PM me if you're in South FL.
Originally posted by XKontour98:
Haha that's awesome! Go GM!

YES, SIR!!! General Aviation is Looking good right now...http://www.beapilot.com
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Was the CEL flashing when it was misfiring? Scan for CEL codes and post. Are you sure you reinstalled all the wirng back properly when you did the alternator?

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
G
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
No lights were flashing at all (at least, I didn't notice). I will need to check for codes.

The alternator was installed correctly.

The thing now is that the car won't start. I managed to get it coasting (with a friend of mine who just so happened to see me stranded in the middle of the road). It was towed back to my place, and it's sitting in the driveway.

This time, I am really contemplating to get rid of it. I'm still thinking over it, but it's not a question of "if" but "when" it's leaving.

YES, SIR!!! General Aviation is Looking good right now...http://www.beapilot.com
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
How old is the battery? Try recharging it, then check voltage is about 14 or above IF the car starts.

T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque:
How old is the battery? Try recharging it, then check voltage is about 14 or above IF the car starts.

I'm thinking that despite thinking that you installed the alternator correctly, you didn't. It seems like the car was running off the battery and when it drained - car died. Either that or you got a POS alternator. I wouldn't ditch the car just yet...

2000 Mystique LS Duratec 2.5L MTX
G
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Well, I am still able to get the starter going. The battery is fine. The battery light never turned on. I kept cranking and cranking it, but it just wouldn't start.

The battery is fairly new (got it earlier this year). It was recharged a couple of weeks ago, prior to replacing the alternator (that's when I decided to replace the alt. It ran down the battery).

I'm really lost now. I might take it to the dealer to diagnose it, but that's after I exhaust the resources here in the forum.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I have a few more ideas (work is slow tonite )Check for fuel pressure, should be 30-40psi. Fuel pump might have quit, or the fuel pump safety reset button (above the driver side kickpanel) needs a push. It is also possible you flooded the engine with gas, and the cylinders have lost compression temporarily. Try starting with gas pedal down while cranking, release it if it catches. Also, scan for codes with your OBD scanner (relatively affordable at Advance Auto parts) Maybe some other CEG'ers can contribute their experiences..

G
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Well, I'll check those out.

But for more info: The car was running for about 15 minutes prior to taking a dump on the on-ramp. The fuel pump was running consequently when I tried starting the engine again. And it did fire away a couple of times before dying once more a few seconds afterward.

G
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
OK, just a recap...

Car died on the road after running fine for 7.4 miles. Battery is still charged. Engine will not fire. Fuel pump works. No CELs. Codes are still a possibility.

Any other ideas? I am in great need of help here.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by GilNewball:
... Engine will not fire....

Does it crank (turn over)? Normal sounding crank or fast crank (as in no compression crank)?

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard