Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I'm faced with having to redo or replace the interior of my '64 Impala this winter. A long story short, a meth head broke into my car, camped out in it and decided to draw along all the stitching with a blue bic pen, stab holes into the headliner with said pen and puff through a carton of cigarettes and put them all out in the carpet

Now I can replace everything with the white OEM style vinyl upholstery and red carpet to restore it to how it was pre-methhead invasion, which would cost about $1200 in parts.

What I am really considering doing is to have new upholstery made in the OEM Super Sport pattern (seat covers and door panels) but in an aftermarket material. Here is an example of a convertible done in tweed IIRC.

I'm already going with a non-original color for the exterior and dash (an Impala color, but it's '04 Victory Red), custom wheels, exhaust, engine bay is period correct... yet aftermarket at the sametime, etc. I'm trying to keep the mods on a clean level. With that said, would an OEM style interior w/ a non-oem material (suede, leather, tweed, valore...) taking a step too far?

I like the variety of types of gear heads on CEG, so any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I don't like the tweed in a classic '64 Impala. It might look better in white, but I'd stick with the vinyl or maybe leather. I always prefer a classic in near stock condition.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
no tweed.

I like white vinyl with red suede inserts where the human body actually touches the seat while driving. Add red suede to accentuate the door panels.

Red carpet would set it off nicely. If you can spring for it a nice thick wool pile. Especially if its more for show than daily driving.

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Yeah, I'm not much of a tweed fan either. It's got a cheap feel/look to it.

I like the red suede insert idea a lot. The car is a toy and will never see daily driving, so having a nice interior is a must.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I am also one who believes in keeping a classic car true to the original spirit. If you have it along that nice, I wouldn't wreck it with tweed.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I wouldn't wreck it with tweed either, like I pointed out before. I just have that pic of an aftermarket interior done in tweed as an example of how the interior can be duplicated in an other than OEM material but keep the OEM design/style intact.

At this point I think I am going with an OEM white vinyl interior, but with the red suede inserts I am loving the idea!

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Swazo:
I wouldn't wreck it with tweed either, like I pointed out before. I just have that pic of an aftermarket interior done in tweed as an example of how the interior can be duplicated in an other than OEM material but keep the OEM design/style intact.

At this point I think I am going with an OEM white vinyl interior, but with the red suede inserts I am loving the idea!

Why vinyl and suede? Why not leather and suede?

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest... Maverick Machineworks is open for business!! Tell me what you need and I can make it!
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva:
I am also one who believes in keeping a classic car true to the original spirit.

Ditto, However, if the rest of the car isn't following the stock, I say do what ever you like!

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Generally speaking, I'd normally lean towards stock. That's why I've used original styling with anything I've strayed away from the totally stock look.

What I don't like about the Super Sport interiors is they're totally vinyl. For a car that's kind of a boat/luxy/crusier, I would prefer a softer feel/look to the interior. Though I do love the styling of the interior.

I'll have to see how much more leather and suede would be I think vinyl w/ suede inserts would be fine though....

S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I did a quick photochop of what I want to do so I can get some quotes from some reputable shops in California and Texas. Just thought I'd share.....

Link Copied to Clipboard