Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
R
we just bought a 98 svt (2.5)a few months ago and the oil change sticker says its due the only thing is that the oil that it says it was changed with is 20w 50 and i just found out that it recomends using 5w30 in the engine and i was wondering if when i change it if i should use the 5w30 or continue to use the 20w50 in the car any advise will be very helpful.as well as any other recomendations.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Use 5W30.

It should have never had 20W50. That engine was not designed for oil that heavy.

With the constant improvements needed to keep up with the latest API requirements, today's dino oils are a bargain. Choose anything that meets the latest SM and GF-4 specs.

If you want factory equilivant, use Motorcraft or any of it's siblings. Motorcraft oil is supplied by Conoco and the siblings include Conoco, Phillips, 76, and Kendall. They are all very close in formulation. You can often find great deals on Phillips Trop-Artic at Dollar General and the like. Motorcraft's best prices are usually at Wal Mart.

If you want a full synthetic then Mobil 1 or Penzoil Platinum would be my choices.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
R
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
R
what about royal purple 5w30 and what damage if any will having the 20w50 cause to the engine

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I have not used Royal Purple, but it has a good reputation.

The heavier oil will contribute to more engine wear during warm up. It will hinder horsepower, the engine is more likely to form sludge, and you risk blowing the filter off on cold starts.

Many people have used 20W50 and have had no problems, but I have seen more than a few with problems.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
R
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
R
well being in orlando fla it doesnt get that cold so when i change it and put 5w30 it should be ok or should i do a engine flush first

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by raymond:
well being in orlando fla it doesnt get that cold so when i change it and put 5w30 it should be ok or should i do a engine flush first

A flush is not required. Just change the oil with 5W30 and change the filter too.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
actually a ford service announcement said that you are supposed to use 5w20 in your engines. It's a lighter oil that'll net you slightly better fuel economy.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)

Link Copied to Clipboard