Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1629425 08/13/06 04:50 PM
N
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N
Well I finally got some money. I need some help from the pros. Yes, yes, i've searched, so please don't bother to tell me that helpful piece of advice. Now, what's going on with my car you ask:
-problems: vacuum leak from heads or LIM - CEL on

Now, when i fix that, the engine will be opened up, so what mods could i do while i'm in there?

2000 Svt 2.5L v6 , 5 speed - 100% stock

My Plans (want to keep the 2.5 in there until it dies,then 3L)

1st -Short shifter -intake -exhaust -struts+coilovers -rims

2nd -stage2 flywheel/clutch -lsd

...as far as I know, that's all I've ever thought of. The 1st ones are the ones that will happen sooner rather than later. None of the mods really require the engine to be opened up. Is there anything that i'm missing which I could do while i'm in there? I really don't know - Help greatly appreciated - nick

2000 Black SVT Contour
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Nothing really...your just going to have the top end opened up and the only thing you can really do as far as swappable parts would be to buy a set of Cat Cams and put those in. And the last I knew is you still had to have the gears pressed on. That would also require removing the front engine cover to time the engine. Basically, the engine being opened up doesn't help with anything, if you don't want to go 3L yet. Unless the engine is being removed...then I wouldn't bother with the LSD install until 3L time either. Pre-3L I'd suggest headers, y-pipe, cat-back, K&N, Poles Opt. Throttle body, short throw, suspension. But it all depends on where your priorities are. To some guys, suspension is more important than exhaust, and rims are more important than anything...

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
You forgot a heatshield!

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
N
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N
hey thanks for the advice guys, i think i'm just gonna fix the problem and work on suspension, car feels a little loose lately.

2000 Black SVT Contour
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by NiggShevik:
My Plans (want to keep the 2.5 in there until it dies,then 3L)
2nd -stage2 flywheel/clutch -lsd

If your stock tranny and clutch have no issues, then don't bother changing them until they do or you put in a 3L. No sense in all that labor to twice.

Personally, I did suspension work and a little exhaust work. I'm keeping the engine pretty much stock and enjoying it that way. The power per $$$ isn't really worth IMO.

Slow Vehicles in Training 01' Lightning 99' SVTC
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
do a 50 shot headers yay. lucky. i want money now

99 CSVT T-Red. Mods- Intake and a Centerforce dual friction clutch. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2420839
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by SVTJON87:
do a 50 shot headers yay. lucky. i want money now

Thats what im running, id never look back. Nitrous was the most fun mod i've ever done.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Yea, that will prolly be my next mod (not counting a wideband set-up). I want to make sure my 3L is running good before I feed it nitrous though...

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Welcome back to the forums Nick. I saw you driving around a week ago. You should check out my car now. Basically almost all the bolt ons with my new 3L.

I think you should just do the 3L first. The gains are so much more impressive than anything else. I did it in a couple weeks. It just gets expensive when you do all the extras.

But if you want to stay away from the 3L right now then you should get intake/exhaust setup.

3L process done
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
My order of modding:

With limited fund and experience, I went/plan to go with the easiest/cheapest first

1. Intake (K&N RU3530 + MAF adapter = $80)
2. Optimized Y pipe ($100)
3. Exhaust (I did it with 2 together. The price depends what exhaust you put on)
4. UIM/LIM rebuild
5. Professional detailing job
6. New tires with semi-new wheels I got for cheap

The following I haven't done, but have the parts already
BAT kit w/ Eibach springs
New Torson T2 LSD (may not even do it if I don't have a 3L plan any time soon)

I probably will do optimized Thottle Body

But like every body said, 3L may be the most impressive mod. Currently my reasonably-low-miled SVT engine still runs very strong so I probably will put off for a short time. And, if you have expericned local guys around you can save a lot on the labor. (THANKS Scott and Pete!)

98 Silver Frost E0 SVT. 1011/6535. DOB 05/16/97 Owned since new. Optimized y-pipe. Bosal Exhaust w/ silencer inserts. K&N intake w/ MAF. Ford Racing 9mm wires. 05 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey. Cobbs Accessport Stage 2.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard