Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
H
my svt has been idling down to 500 for a while now. my understanding is that a vacuum leak would could a higher idle, right? air escaping so pcm increases rev to get more air in. i cleaned the tb, maf sensor, egr, iac, egr passages. still the same. i swapped iac with my brother (he has a practically new one) but the car still went down to 500 the next day. what other items can lead to a low idle? i replaced the gaskets when cleaning these items and sprayed some carb cleaner on them and got no visible bubbles.

i have no cel, car does not stall, actually runs well aside from the low idle thing. i pulled the egr vacuum line and the idle didnt change. a friend mentioned lots of cars have a screw or valve somewhere that can adjust the idle to raise it back up to 750 but i was pretty sure our v6 doesnt have this and to me this is a bandaid. doesnt explain the reason for the low idle. i get a little moosing in the winter and take out the washer for summer. i remember the idle being low with the washer and thought it was maybe from the washer but when i pulled the washer for the summer the low idle was still present.

can bad plugs/wires give a low idle? how do u tell if the engine is misfiring?

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by hmouta:

can bad plugs/wires give a low idle? how do u tell if the engine is misfiring?

I doubt bad plugs/wires give a low idle. If the engine misfires, you will know. It will have a popping sound and/the Check Engine light will flash. And you will have a CEL code. Scan for/and post the codes. The only other item I can think of is IAC and you have determined that is not the problem.

If it is not stalling, I would not worry about it.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
H
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
H
ok then i've never had a misfire. if it is running at 500 wont that pose a problem if i have my audio turned up? at least at 750 it would be a slighter more cushion for the amperage the system is asking of the alt to deliver. i guess i can just turn down the volume every time i'm at a light. i just hate not knowing the reason why something is the way it is, ya know?

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by hmouta:
...running at 500 wont that pose a problem if i have my audio turned up? ......

Only one way to know ...... Then post the result.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
clogged pcv?

1995 SE 2.5L V6/MTX 187k
H
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Originally posted by platinum_drew:
clogged pcv?

that i didnt check. thats the next thing then.

for audio, my indiglo dim occasionally now when i turn the hu up (and thats with 5x7 running in the rear doors only), like they r pulsing but they do that a bit when i'm driving too with bass heavy songs. i'm finishing up on my audio install so thats whats making me nervous. 800 watts rms (maybe a little less). i still plan to upgrade all the main power/ground under the hood. yellowtop already there.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard