Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Hi,
Will I get nailed for having no license plate? I'm buying a MTX Contour from a guy in Misourri on Saturday. I'm going to be driving through two states to get it back to WI.

I'm guessing that I will be OK as long as I have the title and a valid driver's license.

I was also thinking about throwing a "License Applied For" sign on the back.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Check the DMV laws and insurance requirements in each state. I think you need a temporary transport plate, I have seen those from Florida. I wouldn't risk driving an unlicensed vehicle..

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
True. I just found out that I may be able to pick up a temporary plate tonight.

I also found out that WI has a $200 fine 2 days after purchase. I still would like a backup.

BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
You can get a temperary transport permit from the state your are buying it in. Take the title in (if it is anything like MN) to the DMV in the state you buy it from. They should issue a temp license on it that should like like 31 days and it should cost like $10 or so. Then you can drive it home with out any probs. Just get it registered in Wisconsin ASAP after that.

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
If you're going thru Iowa, you won't have to worry about having anything on the car.

Iowa allows you to drive for 15 days on just the signed title/bill of sale.

However, Illinois requires a temp plate to even drive the car off the lot...

Reason why I know these laws?

I purchased my 1990 Honda Accord, and was still under the 15 day grace period in Iowa. Tried driving to a house in Illinois, but was stopped in the first town.

Cop had no idea what to do and had to call his supervisor, who had to call the LE desk in Iowa, who told them it was ok in Iowa.

His supervisor just told him to have me go back to Iowa.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard