Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1627926 08/10/06 10:15 PM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I want to buy a digital camera since I always borrow my buddies. What would be a good camera for everyday use but still something that I can take nice big clear pics with? I want a camera that has good quality like the cameras people use to take pics for teh CEG calander. Please help me!

98 Lime Green SE w/SVT Kit, Projectors, CF Hood, 18" Rims, GC's, Shaved, System 98.5 Silver SVT #5737 Black FSVT Rims, MSDS, BAT Drop 85 Toyota PU Lifted 06 GSX R 600 Black/Silver My Rides
#1627927 08/10/06 10:17 PM
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
I have had fantastic luck w/ the Canon A-series for a great point and shoot camera. Mine is an older A85, but it still is great.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
#1627928 08/10/06 10:24 PM
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
You should spend some time researching at dcresource.com. They have a buyer's guide that breaks down the price points and gives you some suggestions in each division. The review page lists all the cameras they've reviewed, along with a features chart for comparison.

Their tests are second to none, and include many test shots (always of the same subject, so you're comparing apples to apples). You will learn a ton of information about the cameras you're considering.

Which camera you get will be determined by what your main intended use is, as well as price, and features you want. I'd take a few minutes and jot down your expectations on a piece of paper first. That will give you a better direction to begin your search.

I am using a Kodak Z7590. It's a really nice ultra-zoom. It's virtually identical to the DX7590 I had that was stolen. DCResource reviewed the DX7590, it is a well-rounded camera for novices and those with more experience. Prices are pretty good right now on ebay for both these models.

Last edited by The Spelling Nazi; 08/10/06 10:28 PM.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
#1627929 08/10/06 10:35 PM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by The Spelling Nazi:
You should spend some time researching at dcresource.com. They have a buyer's guide that breaks down the price points and gives you some suggestions in each division. The review page lists all the cameras they've reviewed, along with a features chart for comparison.

Their tests are second to none, and include many test shots (always of the same subject, so you're comparing apples to apples). You will learn a ton of information about the cameras you're considering.

Which camera you get will be determined by what your main intended use is, as well as price, and features you want. I'd take a few minutes and jot down your expectations on a piece of paper first. That will give you a better direction to begin your search.

I am using a Kodak Z7590. It's a really nice ultra-zoom. It's virtually identical to the DX7590 I had that was stolen. DCResource reviewed the DX7590, it is a well-rounded camera for novices and those with more experience. Prices are pretty good right now on ebay for both these models.

Thanks for all the info! Is the Z7590 able to take quality pics that would be big enough for things like the CEG calanders?

98 Lime Green SE w/SVT Kit, Projectors, CF Hood, 18" Rims, GC's, Shaved, System 98.5 Silver SVT #5737 Black FSVT Rims, MSDS, BAT Drop 85 Toyota PU Lifted 06 GSX R 600 Black/Silver My Rides
#1627930 08/10/06 10:35 PM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I've had 3 digital cameras...

First one was $50 new (was on clearance the day they came out), so obviously was crappy.

Second was a Fuji A340 4MP w/ 3x Fujinon optical zoom. Never used the 4MP setting, instead using the 1600x1200 setting, which was more than good enough for my uses. Took it to the desert with me, forgot to zip up the case when I was using a pick to dig a trench. After I was done, pockets were 1/4 full of sand... and so was my camera and phone! Phone was easy to take apart and clean. Tried cleaning the camera when I got home (it still worked, just the zoom would jam every time), my dumbass got shocked by the capacitor (note I've done this before on disposable cameras playing with dischargind the capacitor) and dropped the camera on the ground. Still worked, but the ribbon cable for the screen ripped, making the camera essentially useless. Uses Fuji/Olympus only xD cards, which are more expensive than SD cards.

Third cam is a Casio Exilim EX-Z57 5MP with 3x Pentax optical and 2.7" LCD. Camera is great and takes crystal clear pictures (even at the 5MP setting). Only drawback with this camera is that it only interfaces with a dock, so you need to lug the dock everywhere instead of a cable. Not a problem when you have a computer with an SD slot, but work buys the cheapest computers, so no dice.

The Casio takes pictures that are more clear than the Fuji, but the Fuji excelled at night. There could be zero lighting for the camera to zoom on, but the picture would come out clear every time with just the flash.

My girl's Cannon (some 6MP jobbie) takes super awesome pictures... they're either as good or better than my Casio's pictures.

I know the mid-higher range Sonys have Carl-Zeiss optics and the Panasonics Leica optics. EDIT: looks like Kodak uses Schneider-Kreuznach optics.

I'm sure the picture quality is at least slightly better with the name brand optics instead of a no-name setup.

Also: DIGITAL ZOOM SUCKS!!!
1) NEVER use it, because it degrades picture quality. Instead of Optical zoom using a lens system to make the picture bigger, Digital zoom just digitally places extra dots in the picture to make it larger.
2) NEVER use digital zoom specs to decide on a camera.
3) ALWAYS buy a camera with Optical zoom!

Oh, and Steve's Digicams is another good review site!

Last edited by Big Daddy Kane; 08/10/06 10:47 PM.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by skrilla187:
Thanks for all the info! Is the Z7590 able to take quality pics that would be big enough for things like the CEG calanders?

The DX/Z7590 has 10x optical zoom, so it's more than capable. It also has 3x digital, but as stated in the above post, picture quality suffers once you're into the digital. A good tripod will negate a lot of the problems of the dig. zoom, but not all.

The Kodak also has a Schneider-Kreuznach lens, which from what I've read is supposed to be a really good lens.

Here are two untouched photos from my Z7590:

This was taken with high optical zoom and no tripod:

Last edited by The Spelling Nazi; 08/10/06 11:03 PM.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Check the post below for some pics I took with my Panasonic DMC-FX8.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=interests&Number=1282729&page=28&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1

Keep in mind these have been resized much smaller than the originals. It doesn't have a great optical zoom but other than that, it's been a phenomenal camera. The new line of Panasonic's have been getting great reviews for the most part but it seem like most people still lean towards Canon or Sony. I feel like the guys in the audio forum trying to persuade people to buy Adire Audio but they still end up going with JL Audio lol. Now if you want a Digicam with a nice optical zoom, I would check out the Panasonic DMC-FZ5. I actually bought this camera and tried it out for a few days. It was absolutely amazing but I decided I wanted something I could carry easily in my pocket. I'm actually thinking about buying it again because I was so impressed with it!!!!

Vinny 2000 T-RED CSVT MODS: 18" REV model 2 ST200 struts/Roush springs CTA intake Pipe/K&N Filter Dtec Heatshield Optimized TB True Duals w/ magnaflow mufflers/resonators
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Well, I believe DP Review does an excellent job at rating the image characteristics and CNet does a good job at rating the convenience and ease of use of a camera. I would consider models that were rated well by both.

However, there is no substitute for lots of hands-on shopping. A camera is something you need to touch and feel to see what fits well and works well for you. I believe a lot of the micro thin models are very difficult to use, so look at those with caution.

Image stabilization is an important feature. I recommend buying a camera with it whenever possible. Optical zoom is another key feature.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
#1627934 08/11/06 12:33 AM
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
I always suggest the Sony Cybershot camera line. We've never had a problem with ours and it takes great pictures, has great features, and is easy to use.

www.geocities.com/jesusfr7282000 Biblical principles work, there are no exceptions. 99 Suburban 03 Silverado 70 Skylark 79 Electra
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraDetail.php?cam=717

This is what i use, as does another freind of mine. Very good camera for the price.

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard