Next Thread
Print Thread
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
First off, I have a 1997 Zetec, MTX.

I made a post, probobly a month ago, stating how I heard a "crackling" under hard acceleration. My father took a ride with me recently and said it sounded as if my valve timing is off. If I put the car in 4th gear, around 30mph, and press the pedal, you hear the noise for a brief moment. Also, the noise is not evident when the car is cold, though quite loud when the engine is warmed up and under load.

I was curious if anyone could tell me first off, if it is possible to changed the timing on the zetec, and if so, possibly how, or what I need to do it?

Any help is greatly appriciated.

A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by tedBalog:
First off, I have a 1997 Zetec, MTX.

I made a post, probobly a month ago, stating how I heard a "crackling" under hard acceleration. My father took a ride with me recently and said it sounded as if my valve timing is off. If I put the car in 4th gear, around 30mph, and press the pedal, you hear the noise for a brief moment. Also, the noise is not evident when the car is cold, though quite loud when the engine is warmed up and under load.

I was curious if anyone could tell me first off, if it is possible to changed the timing on the zetec, and if so, possibly how, or what I need to do it?

Any help is greatly appriciated.

How many miles?

As for timing... if the timing is off at all, your Check Engine light will be on. The pre98 Zetec has hydrolic lifters... With any Silvertop (pre98) Zetec after a certain amount of miles the lifters start to make a light knocking noise, especially when the engine is cold... Mine were wicked loud when the engine was cold, but it did it for 30K miles and I never had a problem. Usualy it would quiet up a bit when I changed the oil. Either way, my best guess would be you are hearing the lifters... But I cant be 100% sure without knowing more information.

My zetec also made the "crackleing" noise, especially when it was on low RPMs. If I was crusing in 4th doing about 35 MPH, and I floored it, it would almost sound like heavy rushing air, then after a little bit of accelerating once you start hitting the higher revs, this would go away. Though I dont know what that was exactly... My tour' did it the whole 2 years I had it 30K miles... and I never had a problem with it.

Last edited by AliasJerkââ??¢; 08/10/06 02:20 AM.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
It has 110k miles on it.

I do hear quiet noise while idling and cold but it doesn't sound to me like it's the same noise. Once the car is warm, the noise starts around 3.5k RPM, only under hard acceleration. I can push the pedal 1/4 or 1/2 the way to where I'm accelerating and it doesn't make the noise, but any little bit harder and you can hear it. VERY loud.

T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
I talked to a mechanic today and he mentioned the possibility that I was hearing the timing belt? The is a sticker on the old intake that says it was changed at 80k I do believe. I didn't think they went that fast. :s

Is it possible that one of the pullies might be going bad?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by tedBalog:
I talked to a mechanic today and he mentioned the possibility that I was hearing the timing belt? The is a sticker on the old intake that says it was changed at 80k I do believe. I didn't think they went that fast. :s

Is it possible that one of the pullies might be going bad?

Yes to belt and pullies. Most probably tensioner too. The only way to tell is to open up the timing belt cover and check.

Read this

And this

And this too

Last edited by Tony2005; 08/10/06 08:25 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard